To climb or not to climb with a First Aid Bag? That is the question....

Katie at FoxMedics

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the use of a Tourniquet? I have completed various medical courses especially in pre hospital trauma medicine and the benefits of having a tourniquet on you at all times in your industry are life saving!! Definitely consider having one of these.. PLEASE! Less than a minute before being unconscious if you cut a major artery. These can also be applied by yourself and they can be easily stowed away in the pocket. Celox is also amazing. But yes treatment on the ground is better but initial treatment may need to be started in the tree especially if a major artery is involved.

I would rather the rescuer had the appropriate gear on the rescue harness. Being spun around while someone is trying to locate my first aid on the tree motion wouldn't be welcome.

If I can't get down get me down quick to the FA which should already be on hand as soon as you are on site.

How many guys don't have anyone to perform aerial rescue?

Possibly the best bandage and its free is your HAND ! Was told this by a surgeon when I emptied my body of blood in a freak accident on the farm ,natural instinct was too fold flesh back and compress my hand over wound has its seals and moulds too yourself better than a tampax etc.

Ste

I reckon more important is the ability to get down quickly, ensuring enough rope for a fast uninterrupted descent.

I can't see anyone having the wherewithal to self apply a tourniquet up a tree, when I've had hand/upper arm "incidents" jamming it under your armpit and get the hell down is the best solution.

I have had lengthy conversations about the use of torniquets with me friend who is a retired military medic and also owns his own first aid training school. He advises against the use of a torniquet mainly for the reason of secondary damage below where it's applied. He says he completely understands why I carry a CAT but he cannot reccomend that I apply it to anyone but myself. I carry a CAT in my pouch on my harness and a couple in the main FA Kit but thankfully havnt had to cross that bridge yet. What's everyone's thoughts on the use of them? If you were to sustain an arterial bleed and someone had one on site would you want it applied to prevent blood loss? Obviosly combined with cellox, field dressings, packing material etc? Or prefer the use of a torniquet to only be applied by a paramedic or emergency doctor??

If I cut my femoral artery with a silky up a tree, I'm dog meat in less than 60 secs. So a tourniquet is life saving. You can't be rescued or lower yourself that quickly (you are losing consciousness remember). Leaving a tourniquet on for more than 20 mins might harm the limb below but no good having a perfect limb if you're dead!