Adding tree services to my business

Richard 1234

Hi all business Is going well at the moment with new clients coming in on the commercial side.

Now I'm looking to start offering tree services to clients probably on a sub contract basis to start with, as it will take time to get the required certification to offer it myself.

So the question is what tickets do I need to do first?

Should I start by doing ground tickets(whatever they are cross cutting small felling chipper? Etc) and get a climber in as and when nessacery.

I am looking at doing this properly and I don't want to fail so I know I need to take time on this.

I do like the idea of climbing trees but is it worth the time and expense.

Or do I just by the kit as required and employ people to do the job!(a big risk I feel to start with)

I imagine I'm looking at investing £10000 plus and wondering if it's worth the trouble.(but I do think it would be a good asset for my Business to be able to offer tree work)

Sorry for the mixed message there but that's how I feel right now.

Any pointers would be great

Many thanks Richard

My first business is domestic gardening with all that entails.

I have moved into commercial grounds maintenance over the last year.

Parish council grass cutting, schools, managed housing estates etc.

I have just moved into a bigger yard a I have too much kit now. And I would like to start tendering for some more jobs that have bigger grounds. I have not tendered for any jobs with anything other than ground pole based pruning.

And I think there is money to be made not just from the tree work but the access it may give to the rest of it,(hedges,grass cutting etc etc)

So far I have enough work for three of us but would like to grow the business as I don't want to be doing this forever. (So I want it to start paying me back after all these years of hard work)

So to ever achieve my dream of retiring at a reasonable age i need to move forward.

I should add that I would like to know what I'm doing regarding trees rather than just employing a climber and ground staff. Because if I don't know then how can I know they are doing it right if that makes sense.

Edited by Richard 1234

Hi Richard,

Yes is the simplest answer..

No need to spend that money until you've at least some tree work..

Tickets you'd require are nptc cs30/31 then on to 38 and 39 for climbing as a minimum.

If you've clients already it would probably pay to offer the service just with the current contracts..

Don't rush out and buy huge chippers etc.. Unless you've a lot of work.

Try and aline yourself with an good and insured climber.

Hire anything else you need.

Good luck

Thanks for that I think it confirms what my head is telling me. 3 years ago I may well have just gone out and bought stuff and then had it sat not doing very much.

With a business head I think just hire in help for any tree work and make my money on the things I know best(the other stuff) I need to find a climber to start to work with.

Yeah, I'd plan on getting at least your first two tickets as then you can do all the ground work. You'll make very little out of it if you can't bring some to the table. (You can also watch and learn)

For contracting help pay top dollar if they are good, available and fair..(£200pd+\- a little)

If you have the work offered why not make some money out of it..

If I get offered any jobs which are out with my remit I will either suggest a trusted contractor or supply one..

Joiners,builders, plumbers anything... I know in my area who's good and bad, my customers trust me and take my advice.. Just the same with your own business and tree work. Networking and advice costs nothing but is very useful tool.

I have one main contract climber, he doesn't have a business himself so likes being offered additional work, I try to plan it over the weekends so he is available. he's a better climber than me and extremely experienced so he gets called to the toughest of jobs and puts everything down where you want it.

Better than my fists of ham and feet of concrete making a mess of everything and ruining my business reputation in one foul swoop! Better to work within your ability and watch and learn until I'm the uber experienced guy anyway.

Business is business, no point handing the tree work to a competitor company as you will make nothing out of it. Work out how to make at least a little if not the lottery win on each job. Then your always going forward.

I'd just ask on here if there are any free lance climbers in your area on here.. Plenty of good climbers on here, and usually quite a helpful bunch of people.

Then read the situation correctly (which is not easy) does the man fit the job? Tools, appearance, references.. (A pair of ass-less chainsaw chaps and an Argos chainsaw may be not the right person)

But make sure you have a decent small job to put him on if he's worth having. I can tell instantly if someone's had years on a saw or just blagging a days wages) And take copies of qualifications, driving licence and insurance details before he sets foot on site.

In my humble experience of free lancers be watchful for the super slow... This can kill profit in a job. Safe, swift,professional efficiency is what your after..

That's just my take on the subject I'm sure many would argue ;)

Yeah, I'd plan on getting at least your first two tickets as then you can do all the ground work. You'll make very little out of it if you can't bring some to the table. (You can also watch and learn)

For contracting help pay top dollar if they are good, available and fair..(£200pd+\- a little)

If you have the work offered why not make some money out of it..

If I get offered any jobs which are out with my remit I will either suggest a trusted contractor or supply one..

Joiners,builders, plumbers anything... I know in my area who's good and bad, my customers trust me and take my advice.. Just the same with your own business and tree work. Networking and advice costs nothing but is very useful tool.

I have one main contract climber, he doesn't have a business himself so likes being offered additional work, I try to plan it over the weekends so he is available. he's a better climber than me and extremely experienced so he gets called to the toughest of jobs and puts everything down where you want it.

Better than my fists of ham and feet of concrete making a mess of everything and ruining my business reputation in one foul swoop! Better to work within your ability and watch and learn until I'm the uber experienced guy anyway.

Business is business, no point handing the tree work to a competitor company as you will make nothing out of it. Work out how to make at least a little if not the lottery win on each job. Then your always going forward.

I'd just ask on here if there are any free lance climbers in your area on here.. Plenty of good climbers on here, and usually quite a helpful bunch of people.

Then read the situation correctly (which is not easy) does the man fit the job? Tools, appearance, references.. (A pair of ass-less chainsaw chaps and an Argos chainsaw may be not the right person)

But make sure you have a decent small job to put him on if he's worth having. I can tell instantly if someone's had years on a saw or just blagging a days wages) And take copies of qualifications, driving licence and insurance details before he sets foot on site.

In my humble experience of free lancers be watchful for the super slow... This can kill profit in a job. Safe, swift,professional efficiency is what your after..

That's just my take on the subject I'm sure many would argue ;)

Thanks for that sort of sums up what I'm thinking really, and as it goes I won't need to make much if anything from the tree work as it will open up the other areas which I can do myself/staff. I know of 2 or 3 tree guys locally might give them a ring and see what they have to say.

Thanks for taking the time to reply many thanks Richard :thumbup:

No problem at all, i spend a lot of time on my own business development and I openly admit I'm more in it for the money and early retirement!!

You'll likely know but tree work pay is usually better per job than 'gardening type' work so if the works there and your business sways round that way..go for it. You can always learn all the tree stuff as you and the business grow. It also makes the winter a more profitable time, tree work and storms can be year round and also if you generate a lot of waste, start a log business. ££££ 👍

Work smart and hard short term, easier life long term. (That's how it should go anyway, the nae Sayers may disagree!)

Arb talk can be a very useful resource, the amount of times I've 'searched' a topic to find out something, it can save weeks of not years of failed development attempts.

Best of luck 👍