Minehead AWDC racing

Been Watching the AWDC racing today at Minehead great event apart from someone has been working up in the woods with little more than what would appear a days training, the felling cuts are high with no hinges! most are more like step cuts! cord wood every where and this is on nice looking oak. We were horrified the fact that there are cowboys allowed to cut with less than a basic grasp of the simplest of tree work.:confused1:

It got to the stage where me and my mates where seeing who could spot the worst felling cuts, mind you it added nicely to the days entertainment. As for the rest of the woods which these rookie's have attempted to work their way through is little more than a discrace to our industry, there are piles of oak which resemble large habitat piles rather than fire wood stacks.

We even took some pics for the hall of shame in our yard!!

Please hang up your felling boots and get a job in Tesco's,

Who are you because we could start a online collection and fund you some proper training!!!

Where abouts in minehead mate? I've worked in to small woodland areas with college there, doverhay and little hedden? There were some pretty shocking felling cuts done by the first year students there, im not having a dig at them, il admit my first ever felling cuts were crap lol

Dont get me started, Although I am not responsable for damage done I have recently been 'commisioned' to undergo the clear up. By all accounts is was a couple of lads from local village started it and just gave up probly realising what they got into. I have to say i havent been the most agar to push the job on, mainly because it isn't paying that much and every time i pop up there i seem to find more work that needs doing. I am responsable for shoddy stacking of wood in layby though.

Interesting. I was up in those woods for another event earlier in the year and I barely saw any work done anywhere. Looked like it had hardly been touched in 10-20 years in fact. Plenty of blowdown scattered about the place and a lot of work needed to be done.

As for felling cuts being high with no hinges I am not an arborist so am not sure about the terms or techniques here, but the patch that did appear to be worked on appeared to have been thinned with all the stumps taken down to near ground level. Is it normal to do a hinge cut and then leave the stump as it is? Or have I just got the wrong idea here? Also what is too high?

Sounds like someone has done some work up there recently anyway as there wasn't much firewood about. Any chance we can see these photos so the uninformed, like me, can see what not to do? Seems a bit odd to have a go at someone but not post the evidence.