Anyone still use a matador

oakum

Got talking to chap I bought a saw from today and he show me some photos of about 8 roadside trees (country lane Surrey) and discussed ways of getting them down - condemned apparently - and as there is room to fell we both came up with matador and big old winch.

It's a very narrow country lane on a bend and electric and phone cables on poles beneath the crowns but not through them.

They're big old things with a bias towards the road but I've pulled stuff over using a Matador and it would seem an idle job for one - or would you suggest something else.

This is all tentative at moment and I'm only asking on his behalf, but something could come of it and I could pass details on.

Steve

There's a group on Facebook called Timber tractors and lorries. Can't add link from phone . Ask to join full of nutters who love taking their machines out and working them properly. Awesome machines, can't build quality like that now. A sensible post including location and I'm sure you'll get a few local to job contacts. Good luck and don't forget some pics !!

My old mate Dave Briant (http://www.briantsltd.co.uk/) told a matador story and I imagine s.varty's picture No2 with the wagon 6' in the air.

He was winching a tree and the cable ran over a fence which obscured the view of his oppo doing the cutting. A small boy came out from one of the nearby houses and stood, fascinated, under the front of the machine which was up in the air. Dave had no control over what would happen except the thought of the machine coming down at some point very soon......Luckily the little lad decided that he'd seen enough and wandered off!

codlasher

Edited by codlasher
addendum

i know a chap who has a matador with winch in kent, not sure if all operational but il find out if you like?

Hi Steve and thanks - I've been informed there's one available in Surrey and will pass info on, if that doesn't come off I may well get back to you for contact in Kent. As said in OP the job's all somewhat tentative and all about working out logistics at the moment.

Thanks

Steve