Insurance for Arb. Student.

Slicx

i too need to get insurance, i am of this week self employed, probably 50/50 private and working with other companies. i mite be working for a guy who hasnt any other employees, can i go off his pl insurance?

also is PL insurance calculated on age? if so im probably screwed being only 18

pete

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You cant be self employed and work for one company 85% of the time, if the tax man finds out the company you work for will be well and truly fecked! This is assuming you turn up at the same yard at the same time and knock off roughly the same time every day you work for them.

i too need to get insurance, i am of this week self employed, probably 50/50 private and working with other companies. i mite be working for a guy who hasnt any other employees, can i go off his pl insurance?

also is PL insurance calculated on age? if so im probably screwed being only 18

pete

Yes he would still need employers liabiltiy if you are working for him and you would be covered by his PL if he has the EL, if he hasn't EL then he can't do any work cos industry best practice is to not work alone and you can't really both work for the customer, that just not going to wash.

Insurance companie will take your money, but so will car insurance companies. It doesn't mean you are covered if you don't have everything in place as required by the HSE.

Just don't do any jobs over roads or houses. Cutting down small trees in back garden does not really require PL. MOst policies have 800 quid excess so any minor mishaps, broken window, gutter, gate post etc are gonna come out of your pocket anyway.

ALl this insuracne is for companies doing work over roads etc. and for tenderign to larger companies, councils and the like.

18 yr olds and students gettign PL cover is mental!

Also , you use the words "probably" and "might". Just wait and see what you end up doing, test the water so to speak and you might find you just don't need it.

Also insurance companies base the cover on last years income and how you earned that income, climbign, ground work etc. So you are better waiting a year then gettign cover based on that past year and carry on like that, otherwise you'll be paying way over the odds for a policy based on what you might earn of maybe 100k per year which is unlikley. At the end of the year if you've earned 20K the next years policy will be cheaper but the amount you overpaid will not be refunded.

ALl this insuracne is for companies doing work over roads etc. and for tenderign to larger companies, councils and the like.

18 yr olds and students gettign PL cover is mental!

mental? i lost a nice takedown job because i wasn't insured and the only posable thing i could have broken was a fence:thumbdown:

pete

Jeez it seems like there is a problem me having pli, I can't see why its my choice and works well for me, if your self employed you do not need your own pli this is with out question.

Yes if i do my own jobs and use people to help me employers lia. is a must.

I can't afford to go employed the figures don't add up for me and my situation, i've tried it and it was a massive financial difference for me.

Having just one company suplly me with the bulk of my work is a much more finacially secure way for me to operate, the company i mostly work for does not employ anyone we are all self-employed and paid well, and in my opinion makes us all very motivated to work to a very high standard.

Even though i work under others pli, and consider myself a very safe and effcient worker able to take on very difficult jobs to a high standard if for any reason i mess up I want to know I can cover my mistake myself, it doesn't mean i'm not competent or the company that uses me made a bad decision in using me!!

In fact in my opinion its totally the oposite.

Just because one company supplies me with the majority of my work doesn't mean they have to employ me, I train myself, purchase my own kit to a high and costly standard, pay for my loler, provide my own cover. I'm free to work for who i want when i want, take as much time off as i want and even have more freedom in how i carry out any given job, I am used for this reason because whoever uses me has the confidence i can carry out a job with minmum guidance with my own kit.

Edited by Marc

mental? i lost a nice takedown job because i wasn't insured and the only posable thing i could have broken was a fence:thumbdown:

pete

Good. The job should go to someone who is insured, but they should be insured because of the other work they do. Don't get insurance because it will help you get a job where a fence might get broken!

What I'm saying is don't give money away to an insurance comapny for something that you will never claim on anyway.

MArc, all my responses were aimed at the original poster, except the one which started with your name no 9 and partially no.8 althougth that was a general response to your response and not aimed at you directly.

You do whatever feels right for you mate, theres no problem with you having PL if thats what you want.

I'm sure that you are good and safe at your job, but the buck stops with the company who quoted for the job. Don't take offence by it, thats how it is, you don't need to prove anything to anyone.

Edited by Rupe