Have I been too ambitious??

Djvicke1

go slow, be methodical, relax and enjoy.

friend went for 30/31 and tried to do it quick to impress assessor, bad plan. you have plenty of time so use it. talk through everything in your head and if it seems stupid, it most likely is so think twice. safety is key so slow and steady is good.

Sound advice! Think through it in your head, maybe even talk out loud. That way the assessor will be able to follow your thought process.

It may sound daft but assessors are not clairvoyant! It's one thing to think it, it's quite another to let someone know what you are thinking. remember the driving test example, don't just move your eyes to check the mirror, move your head so that the examiner knows you are looking in the mirror!

Cheers for the advice! Have realised that some questions like risk assessments are similar so that helps! Learning felling techniques at the moment, also found out that they've decided to put them both on same day, climbing in the morning and chainsaw in the afternoon so just going to revise flat out and practice next week. Will take my time and be safe. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Passed my 30,31 and 38!! Passed my 38 on Friday and they rescheduled my 30/31 for yesterday and I passed :D

Loved doing my 38 did 3 massive branch walks and didn't get any minors.

I personally found 31 a lot harder as there's so many safety things to remember (head and body positioning etc)

My felling cuts were good although my direction was slightly off target and I was pulled up for having my head above the chain whilst crosscutting but as I knew what I'd done wrong I was passed.

I just need to practice my felling to get it perfect.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and Merry Christmas.