One for the stove installers

bobh

When we fitted the Burley a year ago we were told by all and sundry that a flue liner would be essential but nobody could give me a decent reason why other than the normal "well you just have to" type answer.

So once I'd figured that I could fit the liner ok anyway after the stove was in, I decided to give it a go without one and there has been no problems whatsoever. Chimney draws well, is staying clean, I've been checking the top of the stove for deposits or tar running down and there's nothing. The really strange thing is that the chimney breast gets warmer with the stove than with the open fire which probably explains why it's working so well but I thought it should be cooler.

Now I'm not suggesting for one second that no one needs a flue liner, there are many scenarios described above where it's probably essentially. But by the same token it's obviously not necessary everywhere and the problem seems to be as usual that while there is no scarcity of regulation and "approved experts" there is a serious lack of people with the honesty and knowledge to look at a particular situation and judge it properly. In this case however, the fact that it's run for nearly 25 years with no trouble should tell you something.

If you want I will give you the reasons why in some chimneys a liner is essential, in others important and in others not needed. PM me and I will send you my phone number, dont have enough life to type it.

Installing a flue liner if the chimney appears to be sound is not a legal requirement but in most cases it helps improve the draw.

A

Were the Chinese making stoves 25 years ago? Is it not possible like so many other things that what would have been seen as "bargain basement" 25 years ago would now be "premium quality".

The fact that it's still working as well as the day it was bought should yet again tell you something about it!

If it was a top end stove with a 40 year service life then it would be worth looking at, and it might just be one although the original poster did not think so. Otherwise in these litigious times its not worth the risk of getting sued if it lets go. Where there is blame etc !!.

A