Cheap saw for homeowner/DIY

aesmith

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Well I thought I'd update this thread as I've had a bit of bad luck.

One year on and only a few weeks out of warranty (if I had any) I managed to drag a small log back into the dog teeth while cross cutting on a pile of timber. Was only a small knock so I was surprised that it smashed a hole in the front of the (plastic!) oil tank.

ce7dbc33-5eca-42ce-85e7-1b8bb5b7b2eb_zpsklq2wg59.jpg

If I'd realised the oil tank was only a single skin of brittle plastic I would've reinforced it with a metal plate. Disappointing from what is a £400 saw at RRP, a Stihl or Husky at that money would have an alloy/magnesium casing which would have stood up to an impact a bit better. Though I've had it for a year I've only used it for maybe 6-8 firewood sessions so I'm gutted :(

So does anyone have any suggestions as to how I go about sorting this? Finding Solo parts online is near impossible, translating the Solo by Alko german page just directs me to my local dealer but as I got the saw off Ebay I doubt many would be that keen on helping me, plus it looks like the tank is part of the entire underneath casing so it might not even be replaceable, or it could end up being a huge job. Any Solo dealers feel like commenting as to parts availability?

If it looks like I have to try and repair it how would I do best going about it? Any repair I do would have to incorporate an alloy bashguard to stop it happening again, I know there's a few wizards on here that have brought smashed up saws back from the dead, do I need chemical metal/jb weld or something else?

Just going through my phone and realised I never put up the photos of the repair. Plastic padding epoxy weld and a bit of ally chequer plate cut, notched and bent to fit the shape of the oil tank and it's been good as new, with the reassurance that's it's stronger now than it was before!

DSC_0016_zpsouzbab6m.jpg

DSC_0054_zpsjvcj1eqp.jpg

DSC_0055_zpswzbe6alg.jpg

Though what I think is an unrelated problem I now have is it leaks a fair bit of chain oil out from behind the stainless chain plate, even with the bar on and tightened up properly. Tried a thin bead of sealant around the channel and all sorts but I'm still ending up with oil weeping into the clutch drum area which can't be good! Has anyone else experienced oil leaking from the channel and coming out of the gap between the saw body and this plate? I've had a good look at everything and can't see anything obviously wrong, the bar hole is clear and a good amount of oil is making it to the chain and off the end so the saw is useable I'd just like to keep the oil where it's supposed to be!

I'm debating super glueing the plate down with araldite or similar to create a permanent seal, as it's so thin it just flexes whenever the bar is taken off and disturbs the silicone. It never leaked before I had the hole in the tank, and looking at it the bar nuts should clamp the stainless plate 100% flush against the channel sealing it up but it just doesn't seem to be happening. Frustrating!

I have a Solo 646 as a "best" saw, bought after a heads up on here & I'm very happy with it. My most used saw is a Husqvarna 136 bought second hand on Ebay a few years ago because my son didn't like my Homelite Super XL12 (no chain brake & an amplifier rather than a silencer!).

Anyway I was frankly thought the Husky was plasticky rubbish when I got it....not now though! That little saw has done a miles of hedgelaying, cut piles of brash in firepiles, chewed through mountains of 2-3" stuff in bundles of 15 on a saw horse, felled snedded & ringed a few trees around 15". In short, it has been everything a smallholder needs for domestic firewood & hedging. I would heartily recommend it. It's had an oil pump & a new bar plus several chains, but all cheap enough stuff.

Oh yes - I also used it to cut a few sleepers & several telegraph poles for gate posts & a pole barn too.