Laurel tree dying?

Kaz1234

Question

Hello,

I'd really appreciate some help.

We have a lovely old laurel tree at the back of our garden.

Unfortunately about 6 months ago our neighbour cut through lots of the roots.

The tree is now looking very unhealthy. The leaves are sparse and are pale green or yellowing. There is resin dripping from the trunk and branches all over the tree. The floor below the tree is covered in a thick layer of resin that has been dripping off.

It looks like it is dying. I'm so upset, Is there anything I can do do save it???? Please help!!

I've attached a few photos so you can see the state its in.

image.jpg.d11a2ea899a522f071c0ad45e52daf2d.jpg

Edited by Kaz1234
Adding photos

6 answers to this question

Maybe not but getting rid of your neighbour might be a good first step.

Out of general imterest, was there a particular reason why they severed roots?

New fence and the roots were trespassing,maybe sending up suckers in their garden ?

Looks like a bleeding Canker, which is apparently down to a type of Phytophthora. I'm not aware of anthing specific to Laurus but it looks like this might be what's going on.

The cut roots are a bit of a smoking gun... the tree has been injured and most likely infection or fungus which is endemic in the soil has entered through the wounds where the roots were cut. It's now under attack and will be using up it's energy trying to fight off whatever pathogen has entered. Some books recommend trimming away the effected areas, but I think that wounding the tree further is only going to make things worse - if it's got in through the roots it's probably spread systemically through the trees vascular tissues.

You could try carefully removing any turf that's overlaying the remaining root area and mulching under the tree. Grass competes heavily with trees for water and nutrients so it would make a difference. Roots generally spread quite a long way; further than the height of the tree generally but it's up to you how far you want to go!

In fact, just cover the turf with weed matting or cardboard and mulch on top. Not too deep - about 3 or 4 inches max. If you start stripping turf away then you'll probably injure the remaining roots. Maybe also try watering the tree with a sugar solution to give it an instant hit of carbohydrates.

All this is just an attempt to help the tree survive and isn't a 'cure'.

Really, I've said all this based on one photo which gives a pretty limited view; if you want some more solid advice, you should contact a reputable local Arborist and get them to have a look. If it's big enough to hurt someone or damage something if it starts shedding limbs (or falls over!!) then you should get it checked out.

Where are you located?

Thank you all for your help. Yes, new neighbour did building work and dug a trench for a new retaining wall. I looked over the fence and saw a big pile of tree roots :-(

Apologies, I couldn't work out how to add more than one photo but anyway I suspect it's not really an option to trim off affected limbs as the entire tree is affected. Every branch and the trunk. It's in an awkward position too. Right up against the fence at the back of the garden, with decking built around base, so no turf on the closest roots. I could lift the decking and mulch, would that help? I'll try the sugar solution (at least Ill feel like I'm trying) and yes I think I need to get an Arborist in. I get lots of leaflets advertising them through my door but how to I find a reputable one? I'm in NW london. Thanks again for all your help, really appreciate it.

If you don't know any arborists someone on here can probably help you if not I suggest trying the arboricultural assosiation website you should find a list of approved contractors in your area. Just so I don't get flamed I'd rather the OP get proper advice than take the gamble of using a leaflet posted through the door.