Middle-aged Quercus robur very messy during summer?

Kveldssanger

Following heavy pruning the tree has responded with dense epicormic/adventitious growth. Not all of this growth can survive the search for sufficient light so something gives. Hence the 'mess' from numerous dead twigs which were shaded out.

Could it be all this debris is growth that's now shaded out by the bushy reaction to the hack job? Good luck writing specs that will guide the next round to be more sustainable.

It could well be.

If an application for this tree comes in further down the line I'll certainly look to suggest something more preferable for the tree.

As in, crown reduced. Slang term I use, I suppose!

OK, its just thats a term often used by home owners, they say they want their tree "Crowned", I then ask what they mean, "Crown lift", "Crown thin", "Crown reduced"???

It generally turns out that what they really want is their tree "Topped", IE cut in half :thumbdown:

OK, its just thats a term often used by home owners, they say they want their tree "Crowned", I then ask what they mean, "Crown lift", "Crown thin", "Crown reduced"???

It generally turns out that what they really want is their tree "Topped", IE cut in half :thumbdown:

I get that request too from many residents who wish to contest my decisions following an inspection.

"I do not think a 1.5m reduction is enough. The tree outside is at least 100m tall and why can't you just take the top out and cut all the growth back on one side? Trees shouldn't even be within 50 yards of a property you know."

:001_rolleyes:

I get that request too from many residents who wish to contest my decisions following an inspection.

"I do not think a 1.5m reduction is enough. The tree outside is at least 100m tall and why can't you just take the top out and cut all the growth back on one side? Trees shouldn't even be within 50 yards of a property you know."

I get something like that from municipal arborists here when i spec reduction for risk mitigation. If I spec 2m they want 3; if 3, then 5...compromise is reached after future health, maintenance and risk ramifications are detailed.

If trees are 30m tall then they can stand to lose >1.5m typically?

The concept of growing downward, retrenchment, is a challenge to sell, as it requires the consumer to think in 4 dimensions, and acquire patience.

RETRENCHING HOLLOW TREES FOR LIFE 131226 tcia.docx