Has the world gone crazy?!

Sorry, but in the style of Buford 'mad dog' Tannen, I am calling you out on this one :lol:

I feel this story is either:

> a total 'urban myth'

> has a truck load of facts missed out

> is highly embellished.

It is a great tale, but it does not 'add up' in so many ways.

Pleeeease let me know if it is true, you must have a web link to a press article or something.

cheers :001_smile:

I have told this story so many times and believe it or not you are not the first to doubt it.

Unfortunately for the operator it is unbelievable but true.

I was working in the same factory but in a different department. I too did not believe it at first but I have no reason to doubt any of the story. This happened about 35 years ago. The factory was Sperry Gyroscope (now British aerospace) Clittafotd road Southway Plymouth

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have told this story so many times and believe it or not you are not the first to doubt it.

I was working in the same factory but in a different department. I too did not believe it at first but I have no reason to doubt any of the story. This happened about 35 years ago. The factory was Sperry Gyroscope (now British aerospace) Clittafotd road Southway Plymouth

Awwww, shucks! 35 years ago doesn't count. We barely had the health and safety at work act back then :001_tt2:

In fact, it was exactly this type of slapdash behaviour that led to the formation of the HSE

This thread is supposed to be knocking health and safety madness now :001_smile:

Anything that happens in Southway is either:

Illegal

Immoral

Inappropriate

Unnatural

And most certainly, unsafe!!

Awwww, shucks! 35 years ago doesn't count. We barely had the health and safety at work act back then :001_tt2:

In fact, it was exactly this type of slapdash behaviour that led to the formation of the HSE

This thread is supposed to be knocking health and safety madness now :001_smile:

They were VERY serious at Sperry about health and safety even back then which made it even more ludicrus.

I take your point about the changes tho.

Thought it was a more interesting story than the guards that our HSE man wanted. Made two machines almost unusable

HSE visited a local woodworker. This guy has been there for about 40 years, maybe more.

The fellas that worked there have all been there for 30 years or more, my point being that they survived intact for this long.

HSE told him all the changes they required to make things safe. He said he wasn't able to work with those changes and shut the shop!

No doubt the HSE went away gleeful in the knowledge they had saved those men's lives, the redundant men felt they had ruined them.

HSE visited a local woodworker. This guy has been there for about 40 years, maybe more.

The fellas that worked there have all been there for 30 years or more, my point being that they survived intact for this long.

HSE told him all the changes they required to make things safe. He said he wasn't able to work with those changes and shut the shop!

No doubt the HSE went away gleeful in the knowledge they had saved those men's lives, the redundant men felt they had ruined them.

:confused1: But it was the owner who chose to make the workers redundant.

Rather than being gleeful, I should think that the HSE bloke just thought the owner was a bit of a tit.

Mabe the HSE bloke also thought that it was a shame the owner didn't choose to invest some of his profits over the last 40 years on equipment and his workforce other than just cheerfully creaming off the profits for himself.

You say that for 30 years the workforce survived intact, but maybe you are simply focusing on the fact that no one got wrapped around a shaft, or had great lumps chopped out of them.

How was their hearing?

How was their lung function?

Did anyone suffer from hand / arm vibration?

How was their eyesight?

Almost certainly the changes being proposed covered stuff like this, but so often bosses think they can get away with not making changes, because the staff are conditioned to think that medical conditions are 'just to be expected doing this type of work'.

:biggrin:

You couldn't see anything wrong in the OP's picture could you.

I thought it was the daftest thing I has seen in ages.

It is still a great picture (if you have ever seen owned or used a post knocker - and I have done all three. I have post knocked fencing stakes into the bed of a lake from the back of a rowing boat, so I know a little about extreme post knocker usage).

When it comes to assumptions, how about you?

Out of curiosity Tim, how much does it actually weigh?

Health and Safety will bankrupt this country, causes more delay and cost than anything else.

I assume you agree with the last paragraph in Spruce Pirates quote? :001_smile:

As you raise the point about making assumptions, I thought your comment about "bosses creaming off all the profit" fell well into that category when I read it.

I only work with Romanians these days. If one gets broken I can just send it back for replacement.

(Haven't broke one yet)