Reference pics?? help please!

Alright guys I'm looking to carve my 1st soaring owl! Been meaning to carve 1 for ages and I've got a commission that I'd like to incorporate a couple in. I want to get in a practice 1 tomorrow but I'm struggling for reference images I'd like to do a barn owl. So if any1 has any pics that either others have carved or just a wildlife shot it would be really appreciated.

just work from your own reaserch. if you start looking at and copying how other people have carved the same thing then you will just end up with your interpritarion of someone elses carving. if you work from pictures of the real thing then you will start to develope your own style. this is why all american carvers bears and eagles look the same very few of them bother to look at photos of the real thing because its easier to copy the step by step instructions out of a book.

Yes I completely agree splinters.

Just wanted a little insight on the wing joint to log and to see what the talons looked like in a few different degrees of difficulty ie going in for the kill possibly or just tucked in during a flight.

Thanks for the reply I still didn't find any carving pics so it will be my 100% interpretation today ; )

lookgin good. open to a few constructive- comments?

Its a little hard to tell from the photographs but it looks like the wings might be heading towards being a bit 'flat'. The leading edge is thicker than the mid-section or tge trailing edge (im sure you know this but i cant tell form the photo)

consider putting a few 'lifted feathers' just behind teh leading edge (upper side of the wing) as this is quite common when a barn owl 'swoops'.

love the face, has an inquisative look even when its relatively un-detailed so far

the wings look a bit too wide (again, might be the photographs). see if you can find some measurement-ratios as this might help.

mind the talons dont get too long, if the bird is carrying somethign then they are right, is the bird is just 'swooping' then they are likely to be held in against the body to reduce air-drag

havign said all that (and you probably know all this but its hard to tell from the photographs) its lookign dam good so far :)

Dave

Thanks Dave yeah there's lots to work out of it yet I don't want to get bogged down with to much detail bug at the sand time form is important to me so I hope I can find the happy medium with it.

Wanted to do more to it tonight but my angle grinder popped so I'll have to replace that tomorrow.

Really appreciate the advice mate and I'll take it all on board there's still a fair amount of thickness to the wings although I wish I'd left a little more meat toward the body. There's a fair bit more shaping and detailing to the wings and tail feathers. Hopefully I'll get a bit more done tmoz and get up a couple more pics.

Cheers

Phil

• 3 months later...