Wire core flip line modification

NickinMids

Have a Dragon lanyard which Im gonna replace with the CE lanyard or similar. Thing is its got a nice swivel krab on one end and a mechanical rope grab as an adjuster. The Dragon is great spiking up and down a straight stem but I want a wire flipline for chogging down etc. I want to use the swivel krab and adjuster on a basic wire lanyard but all the wire lines have a loop at both ends so how will I get the rope grab on without dismantling it. Can I cut a loop off one end and knot it or wont this be possible with wire.

I use one of these cut away strops on the swivel krab and then use another small krab to attach to the wirecore loop. You need something that you can cut for aerial rescue. I suppose tying a Double Fishermans, with some 8-10 mm friction rope would eliminate the need for the other Krab.

Stein 22kn cut away strap | F R Jones and Son

Edited by enrieb

I can cut this line and get items off. Can join swivel krab to flip line with screwgate and use mini sling between adjuster and harness etc, but how can I get rope grab onto flip line....Just take it apart and re assemble on the line...? Will this not compromise its integrity..? Or can I cut the other end off the flip line, slide it on and the tie a knot..?

lanyard.jpg.3de05749a4bf961a402d97be0808d4bf.jpg

Hi Newbie,

I'd avoid cutting the eye off the end of a flipline- I don't know how they are constructed but wouldn't be surprised if the cutting of it would compromise it. Also, my understanding of these things is that if you modify equipment from the original manufacturer- you in effect become the 'manufacturer' and this can fail a LOLER examination- this is the same with splicing etc.

I've tried to attach an image of my set up. I use the ISC mini Ropegrab, this can be dismantled and constructed mid line with the locating bolt.

flipline.jpg.9f364edd3ff70f7a1d89880aa67028be.jpg

Perfect solution- get the CE Lanyard and the HB CE flipline and you have 2 systems which are CE approved= peace of mind and move onto the next problem.

:thumbup1:

It is not easy to lengthen the RopeGrab when the lanyard is under load. For the ultimate (and sap tolerant) solution, mount an ART Positioner (with swivel) on a 13mm wirecore lanyard. Expensive but really comfortable.

ART Positioner 2 with swivel | F R Jones and Son

I suppose what I need to do is find out if my rope grab can be dismantled and constructed midline. Will try to chase up manufacturer.

Yeah, as said I want CE type lanyard for climbing and dragon type system when coming down the stem but want to make it wire. Cant see point of keeping 3 lanyard systems.