what expectations do you have for your buisness.

Matthew Storrs

One in the oven due late June.

Ty

Us too :001_smile:

Plans for the business are to continue expanding sales on the current site without increasing overheads. I think that I can put another 50% on turnover, whilst maintaining workload - it's just a question of efficiency. I also do not want employees - I like the flexibility of occasional labour, but I'm very happy that my wage bill is less than 5% of turnover. Employees/contractors are a PITA sometimes.

Business goals wise, I'd like to aim the business more into the supply of other large scale timber users. Other sawmills and larger production cabinet makers. Selling individual boards is time consuming. You often find that the people buying the most timber take up the least time.

Finally, I'd like to move north, but that's not for a few years yet.

Jonathan

I started up in business 16 years and 18 days ago. I was a life styler for the first 11 years. Worked hard and progressed steadily, if the weather was rough I could stay home, if I wanted time off, I took time off etc..

During the credit crunch of 2008 I decided to commit to ensuring a more secure income with a view to expanding and creating a company to be proud of.

Now it's full on flat out full bore. Every hour counts as the stakes get higher. I still cut and climb but management work gets in the way and many an hour is spent on paperwork, planning, quotes and staff etc..

I still love this job, good days and bad, I like hard work.

Essentially with expansion comes greater risk and greater sacrifice. A business is like a pet monster, manageable when it's small but the bigger it gets the more it takes to maintain and you daren't turn your back on it for a minute.

Financial rewards? It's can be hard to tell sometimes, just keep chasing that carrot....

Someone a couple of years ago posted an excellent old story about a fisherman and a banker which has stayed with me since I read it. Your post reminded me of it. I can't find it at the moment so if anyone can beat me to it (or knows what the hell I'm on about) please go ahead

@the village idiot, I know the story! Yes a good one that.

I like doing things with trees be they planting, thinning or felling so I'm still 'doing' just this.

Been planting and been felling, or at least the lads I have employed to do the chain-saw work have been doing the 'doing' bit. I have been organising and working the machinery....and the paying....:big grin:

codlasher

Edited by codlasher
forgot to sign my little piece!

Found it! Originally posted by Skyhuck. Please excuse the lack of paragraphs, (copy error)

A Little StoryThe businessman was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The businessman complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them. The Mexican replied only a little while.The businessman then asked why he didn't stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs. The businessman then asked, but what do you do with the rest of your time? The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos; I have a full and busy life, señor."The businessman scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and I could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats; eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman, you would sell directly to the processor and eventually open your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City where you would run your expanding enterprise."The Mexican fisherman asked, "But señor, how long will this all take?" To which the businessman replied, "15-20 years." "But what then, señor?" The businessman laughed and said, "That's the best part! When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions." "Millions, señor? Then what?" The businessman said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."The fisherman, still smiling, looked up and said, "Isn't that what I'm doing already"

Author unknown.

A banker who was a hard nosed businessman was vacationing in a small coastal village. While walking near a pier he saw a small boat with just one fisherman. Inside the boat with the fisherman were several yellow-fin tuna. The businessman complimented the fisherman on the quality of his catch and asked how long it took to catch them. “Only a little while,” he replied. The businessman then asked why he didn’t stay out longer and catch more fish. The fisherman said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. “But what do you do with the rest of your time?” the banker asked. The fisherman responded, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a nap in the afternoon, and stroll into the village each evening with my wife where we relax and sing and I play guitar with our friends. I have a full and busy life.” The businessman scoffed, “You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat and with the proceeds buy a fleet of boats. Instead of selling your fish to a middleman, you could sell directly to a processor. You could eventually open your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You could leave this small village and move to a big city where you could run your expanding enterprise.” The fisherman asked, “But how long will this take?” The businessman replied, “15 to 20 years!” “But then what?” asked the puzzled fisherman. The banker laughed and said, “That’s the best part. You can sell your business and retire and move to a small coastal fishing village where you could sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take afternoon naps, stroll to the village in the evenings with your wife where you could relax, sing and play guitar with your friends. You would have a full and busy life. The fisherman smiled at the businessman, quietly gathered his catch and walked away. - See more at: http://whatareyouchasing.com/the-fisherman-and-the-banker#sthash.flKlFmBf.dpuf