Mapping Software

Highland Forestry

I use Memory Map for Green Laning it is the donkeys. You can print maps, routes, mark objects (waypoints or markers) I have a Road angel navigator which is compatible with memory map but it shows an OS map on the screen 1:25000 or 1:50000. I also have an Evermore GPS which can be used with a laptop showing your position on an OS map. Obviously being a larger screen you can view a larger area than a satnav.

Mac, I have the RA 7000 as well, Sounds like you use the same set up as me. Did you buy a 8MB SD card? I am planning on getting one so I can download the whole of the UK 1:50,000 onto it!:001_cool:

just be aware that if purchasing something like ArcGIS or MapInfo that you will need to buy your OS maps above and beyond the GIS package, costs Mapinfo as used by Natural England, National Parks, Wildlife Trusts etc is about £1400 per single user, and this wont do 3d maps without additional software, ArcGIS as used by FC, Environment Agency (arcview was phased out in 2004) will cost you 2-3times as much as MapInfo and does have better spatial analysis tools built it,

in terms of usability, MapInfo has the edge over Arc, as its more similar to microsofts packages,

BUT: the wildcard dont forget if looking at these packages, you can buy a stand alone GIS systems with a mobile ruggised field unit, for little more than MapInfo and that will handle Arc MapInfo CAD and a whole range of file types and can be customised for field surveys of trees (see below picture thats me in it) I have used this package for moorland restoration and tree surveys and its a handy little package (It has also been supplied to National Trust and Fountains for tree survey work)

digiterra.jpg.070458e8867d1ddd0d5fd2ec4ce707ea.jpg

I use Tracklogs for my cycle routes....not GIS etc but great for printing out OS maps. It will interface GPS data if you want and you can also buy arial photos for it....maps & photos can be centered around any grid ref you want.

There's a free trial version also!!

TrackLogs Digital Mapping - Ordnance Survey Maps on CDROM with Route Planning Software for your Windows PC

Mac, I have the RA 7000 as well, Sounds like you use the same set up as me. Did you buy a 8MB SD card? I am planning on getting one so I can download the whole of the UK 1:50,000 onto it!:001_cool:

No mate, I dont need the memory card. I have all uk roads as standard. All National Parks(memory map), Southern England (memory map) and Northern France (Memory map IGN) and still have buckets of memory on my Navigator.

I take my laptop and can delete or add other maps and routes to the Navigator as required.