Installing a DRT line on an SRT line from the ground

DrewB

It sounds complicated but works really sweet, heres how(or the way i know of doing it anyway)

throwline into required TIP point

Attach the rope and hoist until it runs over the crotch, tie an alpine butterfly at the base and clip a revolver or crab/pulley into it.

Install your DRT line through the pulley and keep hold of the short end(or just fully set ya DRT system up)

Hoist the SRT line up until the alpine butterfly is under the crotch

Tie the SRT line off at the base of the tree

As you ascend the SRT line you take the DRT with you (a free running hitch or lockjack works better for this)

At any point of the ascent you can transfer to the DRT and work normally and if need be go back to the SRT and carry on ascending.

When youve finished you can lower everything nice and gently back to the ground (you leave all the ascenders on the SRT line) or be rescued by being lowered.

THis works like a mid line anchor in thats it stops you having to climb to the top if you dont need to whilst sill giving you a real high TIP.

Sorry for all the acronyms as well:001_cool:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice, id always considered having a 3 wrapped prussic above my ascender that i could use as a back up and a in-line but wouldnt be good for rescue, could just put a coocoon on a sling on the line and then put a back up underneath it.

the only thing id say is i love srt but do find taking all the gear off at the top does get to me abit and having to do it a few times or just once on a accent would get to me but i thinks its all dependant on the size of the tree and the job your doing and the way you approach the job.

nice though its a definate one to play with and will be used soon.

the only thing id say is i love srt but do find taking all the gear off at the top does get to me abit and having to do it a few times or just once on a accent would get to me but i thinks its all dependant on the size of the tree and the job your doing and the way you approach the job.

i know what ya mean mate but you leave it all on the rope so its just unclipping a few krabs really. The benefit is that you can switch without committing to one system- i cant really think of a situatio where you would do it more than once TBH. I like how its all ready to go straight from the ground.

yer it certainly has its appeals for me. im really keen to go play but all the trees out in the yard ar far to small. i suppose the other side of it is u will never get ur rope guide stuck if u can put ur anchor point where u want ur final point to be. im keen on this and may see what else i can do with it. i reckon once i have set it up and had a play then ill know a bit more if it is a goer for me but seems to be pretty solid atm, trying to think of some issues with it at the moment that i cant work around.

hmm solid effort drew.

i see what u mean rupe but id have a couple of issues, the first one is if u sit in ur srt line then when u put in the climbing line it is going to be hard to get the right tension in the system to pull out of the srt and the same to pull back into it, i hope u can see what i mean, thats the reason i thought of srting up and then having a prussic above my ascender with a pulley on it.

the second would be if you were inlining in the middle of the access line then it voids in for a rescue because the line is going to be pulled in the direction of the climber and not hang true to the anchor point.

these are just opinions of mine and are issues i would have but i completely know what your talking about rupe as long as i have the scenario right in my head. i just like this whole idea i think its good just has a few minor issues from my behalf but none that would stop me from using it just try and make it work better for me.

drew i take it you went i spoke to rich today and he said it was a good gig, anything else come out of it that was interesting. did u compete or just watch.

So how did Rich Kenyon get on?

I agree with you jarnii in your first point but don't quite understand what you mean abotu the rescue situation. I just thought that the drt sytem would get in the way while srt'ing and so would be easier to install on the way up, but I can see why that would also be hard.

If you intall the drt from the ground as originally described then you might as well go up on that sytem (slower agreed) and then your ready to work whenever with no switch overs. The there is no srt gear get rid of, the access line is tied off as before for a rescue and off you go.

You could then simplify it and install a cambium saver with pulley from the ground and put your drt system in that and off you go, Are there retro points available yet? Its been a long time since I've seen that done in a masters. !

Rich came 3rd in the masters. The advantage to setting it up this way is that you dont have to strop into anything when you change over and its all tied on the ground-much easier to set it up when standing on theground and the judges could see exactly what you were doing-as you guys know its all about scoring points with the judges...

and jarnii i dont want to talk about my masters climb, my throwlines decided to represent spaghetti:mad1:

ahh crapper ay, sounds like u had a rough time for sure i hate throw line tangles takes so long to get the memory out of them off the spool and then get em to a real good point and then they do that. harsh. but its further than most will get ina comp so well done.

as for the drt on srt i know what ur saying rupe and agree with setting up a cs from the deck and ascending on that but if it is a real big tree then id like to srt up and if i had a few lowerbranches then be able to go and tackle them before entering the canopy or main bulk of my work. but to be honest i llok at this as all the techniques i use if i look at the tree i useually know if im gonna want to do a inline or foot lock or tail lock or what ever i think it just gives the freedom to use different techniques and try more stuff and make our job easier or eliminate it from a valid technique or try and move em on. (if they need it)

as for it getting in the way i can see this being a issue for me but id have to play with it to comment im not sure how i would approach it at the mo ill try it on the harness and if not i will have to work to get something better for me.

the rescue thing i was on about is say u decide to go up on this system then when u put ur inline in half way and move off you will pull the rope away from being directly under anchor point and this will make the rope inaccessible as a rescue line because when the weight of the rescue climber is on the access line it is going to pull the line true and pull on the inline anchor and potentiall have issues for the casualty. hope it makes sense.

jarnii