Ground anchor stakes....

Rebel_Commando

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could dig in a sleeper or length of round wood; deep trench perpendicular to line of pull for the anchor log then a narrow slit in line of pull to let the rope down to the line of pull.

An alternative is using fence posts drive several in to the ground at 45 degrees sloping away in a line along the line of pull; lash the top of the first post to the bottom of the second, top of the second to the bottom of the third and so on. Use as many as necessary to achieve the required anchor.

You can buy ex army ground anchors and pins of which a set comprises a plate with eight holes in and 9 pins with rings near the top the ninth pin is the one to use to extract the others. Several of these can be ganged together to increase the anchorage. The large version of these army anchors aren't cheap to purchase but sometimes turn up reasonably at farm sales or autojumble type events.

Would it not be easier to cut it off the stump then winch the stem round ? It will take a lot of force to winch something from ground level into an upright position because what you are effectively doing is initially pulling it back into the root plate hole, you need a lot of power to go from that stage into the upright position.

Would it not be easier to cut it off the stump then winch the stem round ? It will take a lot of force to winch something from ground level into an upright position because what you are effectively doing is initially pulling it back into the root plate hole, you need a lot of power to go from that stage into the upright position.

Assuming that the stem isn't lying downhill, so it is on flat ground lying parallel with the ground, you'd be surprised how easily a stem can be winched back.

From what I understood the OP can't get in to off-root it as the ditch is in the way, hence wanting to winch the whole lot over.

Rustcutter's description of how to tie the fence posts together is far clearer than my attempt earlier. :thumbup1:

Assuming that the stem isn't lying downhill, so it is on flat ground lying parallel with the ground, you'd be surprised how easily a stem can be winched back.

From what I understood the OP can't get in to off-root it as the ditch is in the way, hence wanting to winch the whole lot over.

Rustcutter's description of how to tie the fence posts together is far clearer than my attempt earlier. :thumbup1:

Why do you think I would be surprised? A lot of it depends on the weight of tree to stump ratio as to how much pull is required , pulling from ground level you are in danger of pulling from a point lower than your point of lift , fence posts do not take a lot of snapping.

Yes that is how I want to do it then pull the just the stump over after.

But with the ditch full of water,steep loose sandy banks. I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to get safe footing to be able to do it.

Just had a brainwave though, might be able to put a couple of scaffold planks across ditch to give me a safer platform to cut from :001_smile:

Why do you think I would be surprised? A lot of it depends on the weight of tree to stump ratio as to how much pull is required , pulling from ground level you are in danger of pulling from a point lower than your point of lift , fence posts do not take a lot of snapping.

I certainly wouldn't recommend using reclaimed fence posts for it.

From your previous post I thought you sounded as though you thought it would be difficult to winch it back upright - in my experience it's not, as long as you've not got a lot of weight to move past the horizontal. Hence I thought you'd be surprised - no offence intended. If it's lying down-hill then that's a different kettle of fish. The root plate is normally the heavier bit, if you can get that to move from perpendicular to the ground back to the horizontal then it will pull the stem up with it. Been a long day, I hope that makes sense..... :confused1:

I certainly wouldn't recommend using reclaimed fence posts for it.

From your previous post I thought you sounded as though you thought it would be difficult to winch it back upright - in my experience it's not, as long as you've not got a lot of weight to move past the horizontal. Hence I thought you'd be surprised - no offence intended. If it's lying down-hill then that's a different kettle of fish. The root plate is normally the heavier bit, if you can get that to move from perpendicular to the ground back to the horizontal then it will pull the stem up with it. Been a long day, I hope that makes sense..... :confused1:

No problem, I worked five years+ solid on windblow so have a little experience.