How many tons does a cord of hardwood wiegh?

Rudi

Hi. Anyone able to help me with this one?

I've only ever bought cordwood by the cord. but it seems most people sell it by the ton. How do the two compare?

Thanks

It depends how wet it is.

A cord is a stack 8ft byt 4ft by 4ft, so 128 cubic feet in the stack. That's 3.6m3 if it is straight material 70% of this will be wood, the rest air space. So about 2.5m3 of solid wood and about the same tonnage fresh felled.

In practice oak cordwood cut from branch wood stacks about 50% and weighs about 1.5 tonnes seasoned in the woods.

There are lots of caveats such as the longer and taller the stack the better the stacking ratio, a stack measured on the ground occupies more space on a lorry because of edge effects.

exactly like open said ...

wood by ton really comes down to 2 things

Type - Oak, Ash, Pine, etc.

Age - Fresh cut, Down for a few weeks, etc.

part of tree comes into it for end product - branches will obv have more bark than step bits and again with the stacking side.

a cord of logs stacked takes up more room than a cord of rounds - but a ton of wood is vastly different when wet and green and dry and fully seasoned. even up to a whole cord when you start talking larger amounts.

thanks for your replies guys. Like you say, i'm aware there are lots of variables, and it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' type question!

I guess a more useful question would be;

if i buy an artic load of cordwood which is 27 tons (nominally?), any idea roughly how many cords that is?

A 27 ton load takes up about 2 3rds of a walking floor on an arctic mabe 50-80ms not including void space it is very hard to work out this I do know a builders bag of green fresh cut hard various woods in about 275kg-400kg very wet when seasond can be 150-275 kg

We get about 2m3 to a ton of uncut logs