Woodland survey/advice

Hi all,

When I'm not sorting out peoples chimneys or delivering briquettes, I work in a chemical waste plant, and bordering the site on one side is a piece of woodland that falls within the site boundary, so it's all fenced off. Other side of the fence is a golf course on one side, and brownfield space on the other.

The woodland is a bit of a mix - fair bit of hazel alder and oak with a few conifers dotted about - but it's not been touched in years - if ever. I think it may have originally been planted on stuff excavated when the plant was built, as a screen from the golf course. There are no signs of any work ever having been done - and as a result there a lot of overcrowded skinny trees as well as a number of pretty chunky hazels, some of which have gone over and then regrown. It's definitely looking ready for a bit of attention.

I mentioned the idea of managing it to one of the managers yesterday and he said he'd certainly be in favour of it (he's heavily involved with the Rivers Authority out of work time)

My questions are:

Are there limits to what we can do with it?

Do we need permission to look after it, and if so, who from?

Who would be the best people to approach to advise on the best way of taking it forward and a management plan for future years?

I've done a lot of conservation work and various thinning and planting schemes in the past - but don't think I'm qualified to walk in there and say "the best thing to do is xxx"

Ideas and advice most welcome!

Cheers all,

Andy

Hi all,

When I'm not sorting out peoples chimneys or delivering briquettes, I work in a chemical waste plant, and bordering the site on one side is a piece of woodland that falls within the site boundary, so it's all fenced off. Other side of the fence is a golf course on one side, and brownfield space on the other.

The woodland is a bit of a mix - fair bit of hazel alder and oak with a few conifers dotted about - but it's not been touched in years - if ever. I think it may have originally been planted on stuff excavated when the plant was built, as a screen from the golf course. There are no signs of any work ever having been done - and as a result there a lot of overcrowded skinny trees as well as a number of pretty chunky hazels, some of which have gone over and then regrown. It's definitely looking ready for a bit of attention.

I mentioned the idea of managing it to one of the managers yesterday and he said he'd certainly be in favour of it (he's heavily involved with the Rivers Authority out of work time)

My questions are:

Are there limits to what we can do with it?

Anything you do will need to be within statutory limits i.e. you will almost certainly need felling permission from your local FC Office, and will need to be within UK Forestry Standards and comply with water guidelines

Do we need permission to look after it, and if so, who from?

You will need permission from the site owner, If any grants are involved he will have to sign contracts or appoint an agent

Who would be the best people to approach to advise on the best way of taking it forward and a management plan for future years?

I would suggest the best people would be the people who have an interest in the site. Certainly before engaging any advisors you should try to think through what you want to do with it

I've done a lot of conservation work and various thinning and planting schemes in the past - but don't think I'm qualified to walk in there and say "the best thing to do is xxx"

Shy weans get nae sweeties - if you have an aim in sight and you can get the site owners to agree then put your ideas on paper - the FC will almost certainly provide initial advice and you will probably need to run management plans or felling licences past statutory consultees such as RSPB, English Heritage and local council etc etc. They will offer advice (and probably try to steer you to their way of thinking).

It sounds like you have a diverse amenity woodland which is becoming choked, a bit of judicious thinning and perhaps some coppicing of suitable species to diversify age class and habitat type would be a suitable starting aim I would suggestl, perhaps with a central ride or rides to promote access and again vary the age class and light levels

Ideas and advice most welcome!

Cheers all,

Andy

See comments in blue

Cheers

mac

Edited by muldonach
typos