Who can find the First HC Leaf Miner?

Amelanchier

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm could be...

Does the tree suffer from Guignardia????

Yeah, thought about that myself Tony, but it's never had Guig to my knowledge.

Not really dark enough for Guig, and it can cross over the veins, whereas I don't think C. ohridella did :confused1:

You could be right though, I'll monitor some more. :001_smile:

Guess this means I don't get a bottle of Vielle Bon Secours yet :sneaky2:

• 2 weeks later...
Not 100% sure, as there's no larvea in side the mines.

Maybe something is predating them?

All the same, this leaf came off a Tree that is usually the first to have them, from round these here parts.

As I am the only saddo playing this game, I will retract my first entry as no larvae was in evidence.

But here from today is a little wriggler.

5976543d3628c_CopyofDSC01761.jpg.a31c532a6129393ecb63e1dd0cb1caf1.jpg

DSC01761.jpg.d9508b14f81ba5084c56a702f6a71fd3.jpg

DSC01758.jpg.10264f003323afabcdffab4d3642dd36.jpg

There are systemic insecticides and soil drenches and sprays being used, but as far as I understand, these are limited to annual or possibly biannual effectiveness.

A long term cure on the horizon perhaps??.......

"Conventional treatment methods such as spraying, root injection or removal of bleeding wounds have been found to be ineffective and harmful, often resulting in more damage to the tree. JCA have obtained experimental approval to test a new product which shows considerable promise.

JCA Limited, in partnership with Allicin Tree Care in The Netherlands, have developed a new product, which, when introduced into the tree using a unique infusion method provides a breakthrough in the fight against Bleeding Canker in Horse Chestnut trees with applications for many other tree and shrub diseases. JCA Limited plans to start UK tests in Summer 2009 after extensive tests in The Netherlands which produced remarkably encouraging results.

Allicin is a substance which occurs naturally and is one of nature’s most effective anti fungal, anti bacterial and anti viral agents. It has been known to man for centuries but until recently has been impossible to obtain in sufficient quantity or at a sufficient strength to use in anything other than human medicine. Our partners have obtained a worldwide patent on a method of commercially producing and stabilizing Allicin, in sufficient quantities and at a significant strength, allowing it to be used in Horticulture and Arboriculture.

Allicin is manufactured from natural plant material (Allium sativum) which is grown under European GAP (Good Agricultural Practice) conditions. It is produced without the use of chemicals, is completely biodegradable and is safe for humans and the environment. Production is carried out under BS and ISO standards 9001:2000. In addition, it has been tested by the internationally respected organisation TNO, Organisation for Applied Scientific Research, in The Netherlands, whose tests proved that, when using the correct concentration, Pseudomonas syringae pv. aesculi, is destroyed. Further tests by the Botanic Diseases Department of the Dutch Ministry for Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality in Wageningen, The Netherlands, verify these results.

In order to obtain the best results, treatment with Allicin is required as early as possible after the tree has been diagnosed as being infected. Using the tree infusion system, the solution is introduced into the cambium layer of the tree around the stem. Root pressure and capillary action ensure the distribution of Allicin around the tree via its vascular system. The size, vigour and condition of each tree help to calculate the volume and strength of Allicin required. The unique infusion system is designed for this purpose. Field trials have proven that the use of Allicin by this method gives the desired result.

In addition to its anti bacterial effect, Allicin has fungicidal and anti viral qualities. After Pseudomonas Syringae pv. Aesculi infection, a tree’s resistance to pathogens diminishes allowing fungi to develop in the tree. These fungi are also killed by Allicin.

A Welcome Side Effect

In tests carried out in The Netherlands, a welcome side effect was noted which is also of considerable benefit to the Horse Chestnut. A control avenue of Horse Chestnut were left untreated whilst a parallel avenue of Horse Chestnuts were all treated. Apart from the desired effect of a general recovery in the treated trees, it was noted that they remained by and large, unaffected by leaf miner Cameraria ohridella and completely foliated.

In contrast, the control avenue was almost completely defoliated by mid September and heavily infested with leaf miner. It appears that as the Allicin travels throughout the tree’s vascular system, it taints the foliage with the odour and taste of Allium sativum which the leaf miner finds not to be to its taste. Proof of this transfer throughout the trees system can be obtained by breaking off a leaf from the tree a week or so after treatment. If the leaf is crushed, a distinct Garlic smell can be detected."

(extract taken from the website of JCA Ltd)

A long term cure on the horizon perhaps??.......QUOTE]

From the presentation I witnessed a few weeks back, I'd imagine that in the right situation ( single or limited Tree stock, in Parks/Gardens etc) it could be financialy and aesthetically beneficial.

As opposed to avenues and woodland.

But as I understood it, there is little, if any, study carried out on effects on micorrhyza for example.

Would like to read more on this aspect personally.