Problems with Sthil Combi head units.

lerp

I have two, 2 year old Sthil Combi power units for use with hedge-cutter heads or pole saw - model KM 130R. Both have problems with flooding air filter with fuel.

Have followed advice to change diaphragm on fuel tanks but not solved problem. They have been unreliable starting since purchase. One unit in particular is costing a lot in repairs i.e. stripping down to change cam wheel twice in 2months and valve collets etc..

Mechanic i use says that these machines have been problem to many other users and that one dealer no longer sell them due to complaints.

Any thoughts/advice?

Also got sthil 0261 groundsaw that had faults from manufacture. These were repaired free of charge but only after I had spent a lot of time with saw in and out of local mechanic trying to find problem. This saw will not start unless put on half choke every time.

Have read your link. Thanks for that. I shall cut losses with these power units but don't know if I will be able to sell them on! Annoying that dealer who sold me these units never mentioned any problems when I asked and then got very upset/rude to me when I complained about problems.

It's a 50/50 opinion split mate. Half of us know they're crap, the other half are living in denial! :lol:

Seriously, both my FS70s are running sweet and have plenty of power even for a telescopic shaft and polesaw.

Are the KM-130 engines currently running? If so then just peel the FS-70 sticker off the new shaft, pop the old 130 engine on and sell it on ebay as an FS-130 with a brand new shaft (say the nipper ran it over or something). You will get £120 easily (an FS55 makes about that all day long), so maybe even £170 as an FS130 with a new shaft on it.

A new FS-70 is only £260, result!

They are both in for yet another repair at moment. One unit has cost me about £190.00 in repairs in last 6 months. The frustration and waste of time these machines have caused when trying to start them or keep running! Swearing from top of hedges.

When I get them back i shall put them on e-bay and hope they sell to someone who lives a long way off and only does hedges once a year.

When finalising on which long handled hedge trimmer to get I had a dealer directing me towards the Stihl combi system, But I settled on the fixed Echo one instead, even though it was slightly heavier. The while I was waiting for the new Echo to be commissioned a chap came in with a Stihl combi chainsaw attachment that had failed! I suppose all power tools can fail at some time, but this kind of confirmed I had made the right choice.

Ours is the exact same mate if it goes on its side for a few seconds you've had it. Ours has had new carbs on and been in the workshop no end of time :thumbdown:we've given up with it now and gone back to the older model we have the others just been thrown to the side :001_tt2:

I'm a Stihl slut, but they got the 4 mix wrong.

The kombi attachments are bombproof. Change the engine to an FS-70 2 mix (yes, I know you shouldn't have to!) and you can't go wrong.

Either that or wait until they bring out a 2 mix combi unit. It will be the mutts, profitable and with much, much higher residual value than anything else on the market, for good reason.