Meripilus on beech

SiW

Have looked at a job where a beech had failed in the winds earlier in month, leaving 3 other mature beech trees in close proximity. a consultant was called and he condemned all 3 remaining trees even though none showed any signs of meripilus, is this the normal action or could it have been closely monitored and action taken later if a problem arose?

There maybe root grafts that could be conduits for the mycelium of the Meripulus, particularly if there is already dysfunction in the roots.

Also there may be additional wind load on the remaining three canopies to consider now that their neighbour has gone.

But personally still think that this is a bit of an odd decision to make. :confused1:

There maybe root grafts that could be conduits for the mycelium of the Meripulus, particularly if there is already dysfunction in the roots.

Also there may be additional wind load on the remaining three canopies to consider now that their neighbour has gone.

But personally still think that this is a bit of an odd decision to make. :confused1:

Agreed :thumbup:

I'm working for the neighbour whose trees haven't fallen over, and the consultant was kind enough to provide him with a copy of his report ( via his neighbour) condemning his trees, which in my opinion left him no option but to fell the trees as he had been made aware of a possible risk, don't get me wrong am grateful for the work but does a consultant normally write reports on neighbours trees without being paid by the tree owner

I'm working for the neighbour whose trees haven't fallen over, and the consultant was kind enough to provide him with a copy of his report ( via his neighbour) condemning his trees, which in my opinion left him no option but to fell the trees as he had been made aware of a possible risk, don't get me wrong am grateful for the work but does a consultant normally write reports on neighbours trees without being paid by the tree owner

If the neighbour was concerned the other trees may be an issue I don't see why he couldn't request they be included in the report - as long as no trespass occured all the consultant did was look at another person's tree, nothing legally wrong with that. However, it would have been prudent to alert the neighbour to his intentions.

If your customer doesn't like the recommendation, rather than feeling bullied into removing it he could commission his own report, looking at options (if any) for retention.

im not an expert but I suppose if they are worried about their property they can get a report to then show to the neighbours to make them legally aware wirh a professional opinion. any chance of further investigation of the roots? tbh and I know some won't like what im gonna say but if I was a consultant I would probably give the same answer unless they were willing to pay for costly futher investigation.

Think he's ok with having them removed as he could fit another 20 camellias in there place, he must have over a hundred already.

I just thought it a bit excessive, all trees had tpo's and the consultants recommendation for replacements, 2 birch and 2 Rowan. Of all the trees to replace a group of 70' Beech with