Chipper Purchase Advice

William Tarbet

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased a 2001 tw125 in 2007-2011. I sold it for what I paid for it at 10 years old. It was perfectly reliable, I brought a brand new one in 2011 which is three years old and not one single problem.

All this shite about bearings is laughable I have had nearly 7 years from these machines with no bearing faults ?. The only thing I don't like is the flywheel housing insides are not welded enough to stop water pushing into the paint creating rust bubbles in the paint work (Really pisses me off as it makes the machines look tatty after not even a years use).

I used to see some shite box timberwolves come into workshops as they were not owner operated and never washed or maintained, yet still lasted years with no love at all.

If you change the engine oil and filter as instructed, maintain sharp blades every week,change the hydro fluids, spark plugs etc the tw125 is IMO absolutely unbeatable in price,performance,maintenance,move about ability,reliability. And for god sake wash the thing or it will rust and so will the electrical stuff.

Apples for apples this is in its own class, how ever I always said stick it on a turntable and it would be king of the 20hp chippers, the new turntable is also worth a look for tw.

Another thing to take into consideration is parts and service. See how readily available parts are for the machine you buy and how long it takes to get them. How local is the dealer....does he hold the parts or does he order them in, adding to price/time. Can he fix your machine or is he a tractor dealer?

I didn't research this before I bought my first machine and it cost me time/money.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies fellas.

This is really helpful stuff. Lots to take in here!

There certainly a mix of opinions on Timberwolfs. I reason the tw125 caught my eye was the size. As I'll be starting a new business I will be working on my own for lots of smaller jobs (hedgework, fruit trees, non climbing stuff) so having a machine I can move around easily on my own is v important to me. I've also had lots of experience with tw150s and they seem to be good machines (I prefer them to Jensens, vermeers, tunnisens).

The chap at Arborcut also has a Schiesling Mx105.

This is a similar sized petrol machine with a honda engine. Does anyonme know much about these chippers?

Thanks again for all the help, If i could buy you all a beer I would.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies fellas.

This is really helpful stuff. Lots to take in here!

There certainly a mix of opinions on Timberwolfs. I reason the tw125 caught my eye was the size. As I'll be starting a new business I will be working on my own for lots of smaller jobs (hedgework, fruit trees, non climbing stuff) so having a machine I can move around easily on my own is v important to me. I've also had lots of experience with tw150s and they seem to be good machines (I prefer them to Jensens, vermeers, tunnisens).

The chap at Arborcut also has a Schiesling Mx105.

This is a similar sized petrol machine with a honda engine. Does anyonme know much about these chippers?

Thanks again for all the help, If i could buy you all a beer I would.

Big fat bitches those scleisings, over priced and rust like hell. They are great at chipping but expensive in every way. The tw125 can't be beaten or I have seen nothing in 10 years that is as simple and as robust. My advice is buy one no more than 5 years old service it and don't let fecktards use it EVER.

Go onto my YouTube channel and see both my 125s working :D

But it's just advice do wat Eva the feck ya wanna do :biggrin: