tezza

I would always employ an nptc qualified person over lantra every time, nptc is independently assessed where lantra hand the certificate of training at the end of the training (no proof your any good just that you attended). Unless I'm corrected ?.

Every employer asks for nptc, Lantra is better than nothing but you want nptc it's more recognised as industry competence.

Consider yourself corrected my friend :biggrin:

NPTC now do training, Lantra now do standalone assessments- the world is on its head.

The CS30, CS31 certificates of competence are long gone (hopefully), and have been replaced by new ofqual regulated qualification (that are called long names and are issued with incomprehensible numbers).

Welcome the the end of the old assessment monopoly :sneaky2:

Nope things have changed a bit. Lantra and NPTC are now identical in terms of course material, both train and independently assess to the same level. Both the Forestry commision and Tilhill now give equall weighting to Lantra & NPTC.

As a trainer i have gone with Lantra.

You and me both, Slack, :thumbup:Welcome to the brave new world :thumbup:

How is lovely Pembs doin?

My Mrs keeps nagging me to move us all back!!

NPTC now do training, Lantra now do standalone assessments- the world is on its head.

The CS30, CS31 certificates of competence are long gone (hopefully), and have been replaced by new ofqual regulated qualification (that are called long names and are issued with incomprehensible numbers).

this

must be very recent as i only took my cs30 cs31 3 weeks ago and i was still lantra work books and nptc assessment

this

must be very recent as i only took my cs30 cs31 3 weeks ago and i was still lantra work books and nptc assessment

Yeah, hence the 'hopefully'.

Some centers took the opportunity to 'stockpile' cs units.

Either they were resistant to change, feared that their clients would be resistant to change or were worried that the new assessments would be a shambles during the changeover so protected themselves by 'getting a few cs units in'.

There is nothing wrong with CS30 or CS31 (as is regularly pointed out by some on here, trees haven't changed and nor have chainsaws).

The question is why on earth did you do CS30 and 31? it seems strange that you were offered assessments that no longer reflect 'industry best practice'.

The updated NPTC CS30 is now called: 002003 - City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Chainsaw Maintenance and Cross Cutting

Updated CS31 is now called: 002004 - City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Felling and Processing Trees up to 380mm

Both catchy names eh? :biggrin:

I am genuinly interested in the answer to this by the way, I am not 'picking a bicker', or trying to get one over on you. I am interested to why you do an assessment that has been superseded.

Cheers,

Matt

To be honest Tezza -I have totally lost faith in the value of 'tickets ' , I have seen horrendous work done by 'ticketed ' crews , and no one will be more amazed than I if I see a newly qualified tree felling guy manage to accurately sharpen a bloody saw ! Yr own skill and knowledge will shine with an employers over the bunch of paper in yr hand .