Sycamore Milling Value

BP75

Photos to follow.

I have a Sycamore which has split at the base of the trunk.

Each trunk will be approx 3-4 foot in diameter and total height of tree will be roughly 50ft ish.(very rough estimate)

Due to the split at the base, it will require someone with more experience than me to fell it.

Initial thoughts are just to fell and ring it for firewood but would it have any milling value.

Firewood would be for own use so not comparing commercial values as such.

Tree is located in Fife.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

BP

Yes, possibly, but it's limited. Sycamore either has to be seasoned standing on end (reared) to stop it marking, or using special plastic stickers with fingers on. It is also usually wanted 'white' which means milling in winter (which is convenient!). To be honest, you will probably only get firewood prices, but save yourself the fuel and time cost of ringing it up.

Alec

As agg221 has said end stack it. Sticked too with more of the same.

It is lovely timber and makes beautiful kitchen work-tops. I know I made mine from a tree that I took down in the local Church yard. I still have a big chopping board from that which was left over. I've moved so I have no idea if it is still as I left it. I doubt it.

Be aware that woodworm will small it from miles away and if left standing for too long will become infested so a little bit of spray won't go amiss either.

Shame you are so far away. Still something may turn up for me in the next couple of years!

codlasher.

Hi BP

I'm in Glenrothes and have about 15 years of experience in milling. Whereabouts in Fife are you. If you like I can take a look at it and give you an opinion on whether it may be worth milling or not. You can give me a ring on 07769703520 if you like.

Mike

PM sent