Request from customer - would you?

TimberCutterDartmoor

Personally I would have no qualms in providing a supporting letter if the woodland is managed for either timber, conservation or sporting interests.

I would attach a copy of any management plan.

Isn't woodland exempt if it is under a dedication (or similar) scheme via grants?

Edited by Graham
grammatical

It's a tiny wood, less than a hectare which the nosy neighbours contacted the TO about since they heard a chainsaw and panicked. TO put TPO on in case owner was planning clearfell! It is certainly pointless having the TPO, especially now since little further felling is taking place. Grants etc are all N/A. The name in the paper thing is what I'm worried about.

Personally I would have no qualms in providing a supporting letter if the woodland is managed for either timber, conservation or sporting interests.

Isn't woodland exempt if it is under a dedication (or similar) scheme via grants?

You are about the FC pulling rank in effect...it is worth looking into this. The FC are not a problem to deal with ime..

The trouble is that as a woodland manager/contractor, you may not be around to see this directive completed..the client may go with a cheaper contractor, they may move and ownership changes or they may simply decide to sell the timber....a TPO will ensure protection.

(http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2009/mar/27/hockney-art-seasons-trees)

:sad:

By attaching a management plan the TO will get an understanding of the intentions for the woodland....On this basis there would be no need to object to the order as if reasonable, there will be no reason for works not to be given consent...:001_smile:

( Complain neighbours....PITA but thats life eh!!:bored: )

It will most likely be an area order which is the lazy tool for TO to grab land restrictions and such.....( check om this if I were U ) It will be temporary and the LA will want to settle the status more satisfactorily so I would use this opportunity to put up the plan and steer your client in this direction as best you can....The more you protest the less likely they are to see your clients viewpoint imo..?

It's a tiny wood, less than a hectare which the nosy neighbours contacted the TO about since they heard a chainsaw and panicked. TO put TPO on in case owner was planning clearfell! It is certainly pointless having the TPO, especially now since little further felling is taking place. Grants etc are all N/A. The name in the paper thing is what I'm worried about.

Does that mean you have in there felling without contacting the TO in question?

" Does that mean you have in there felling without contacting the TO in question? ..."

With no restrictions in place there is no "requirement " to solicit the approval of the tree officer...However, cut over the F.C.'s felling license quota for your quarter and you will be the wrong side of the regs.....

As I understand it, if the so called Area Order is wheeled out of the closet and summarily slapped on your clients woodland, the LA are required to inform the owners and all other interested ( affected ) parties...to not do so can render said order "duff"...

" Does that mean you have in there felling without contacting the TO in question? ..."

With no restrictions in place there is no "requirement " to solicit the approval of the tree officer...However, cut over the F.C.'s felling license quota for your quarter and you will be the wrong side of the regs.....

As I understand it, if the so called Area Order is wheeled out of the closet and summarily slapped on your clients woodland, the LA are required to inform the owners and all other interested ( affected ) parties...to not do so can render said order "duff"...

No, I am aware of that.

The point being that if you contact your LATO and advise that there are certain trees need felling and it's all going to be done in a profesional manner, and less than 5 cubic m, then there would be no need for him to come out with an emergency TPO.

" The point being that if you contact your LATO ......"

I couldnt agree more mate...I have come across this exact approach by LA's as I had not notified them of my intentions b4 hand....I believe that the situation may well have not escalated to the the stage reported by the original poster had he taken the precaution out of...lets say...courtesy, to let them know.

I was tho' a bit miffed at the attitude of the T.O concerned....I stand by my original interpretation of the legal requirements and dont appreciate being treated like a thick norfolk oik on the end of saw to be patronised blah blah....It is a problem for all concerned as Tony noted earlier and I suppose a part of the reactive nature of arboriculture...too few resources and what there is stretched to the limit....

Dont get me started on how undervalued the whole industry is (incl trees ) ...the figures are quite an eyeopener...cheers

...It will most likely be an area order which is the lazy tool for TO to grab land restrictions and such.....

...As I understand it, if the so called Area Order is wheeled out of the closet and summarily slapped on your clients woodland...

Language so often belies true opinion :D

I've often wondered about the use of the verb 'slapped' and its place in common parlance when referring to the serving of Orders. It implies an aggressive disproportionate response.

Language so often belies true opinion :D

I've often wondered about the use of the verb 'slapped' and its place in common parlance when referring to the serving of Orders. It implies an aggressive disproportionate response.

Fair enough bro'...actually a quote from a T.O. as he went on to describe the use of area orders.....I apologise if an unfavorable generlisation was the end result .

Slap...dunno, dont think the area order is disproportionate but can see that it may be construed as aggressive....