Stihl MS290 problems

Aledafis

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Halelujia! She runs!!

I just have one last problem, she runs so well she wont switch off! When I flick the lever to switch the saw off, the engine continues to run. The only way I've managed to turn her off is to adjust the idle screw out until she stalls.

The good news is that she starts on the first pull on restarting so I'm a pretty happy boy.

Aled

Halelujia! She runs!!

I just have one last problem, she runs so well she wont switch off! When I flick the lever to switch the saw off, the engine continues to run. The only way I've managed to turn her off is to adjust the idle screw out until she stalls.

The good news is that she starts on the first pull on restarting so I'm a pretty happy boy.

Aled

Well done

its all worthwhile now :thumbup::thumbup:

What was the problem?

Well, basically I bought a knackered chainsaw from ebay with low compression, a knackered piston and a dodgy carb. But following a great deal of advice on here, a new piston, new impulse line, complete rebuild, a good ultrasonic clean of the carb and a new carb kit I (hopefully) have a good saw.

I just need to get her to stop as she should and I'll be done.

Thanks guys!

On the not turning off issue - make sure the bit of brass on the end of the black wire is contacting the stainless leaf spring on the on/off/choke lever.

Sounds like you are close to fixing it 100%.......well done:thumbup:

Unfortunately it's making good contact...

Thanks!

This saw is beginning to do my head in! I came home from work tonight, fired her up, began to cut and she died in the cut just as she'd done before I did the work on her! She then refused point blank to start up again!

I've just been out in the workshop after dinner, took the bar off and she runs lovely (still won't shut off but I'm not that worried about that at the moment), revving up like a good un and starting on the first pull like she did last night.

The only things I haven't done anything to are the clutch (apart from removing and replacing it when I took the engine out), the chain brake and the fuel line, none of which should contribute to this annoying behaviour. I should have a fuel line in the post tomorrow, so failing that, could it be the clutch? If so, I can sort of understand the stalling in the cut, but why won't she start back up?

GRRrrrrrrrrr!

And yes Spud I have connected the cables to the engine, and it does make contact when I flick the kill switch. Did you take me for some kind of idiot? Ok, don't answer that one... ;-))