Mightyoak

Ditto, the CS30/31 is a must, I went through NPTC and they will show you all you need for maintenance to felling small trees.

Use of a chainsaw takes time, getting used to the feel and how it cuts.

Also think of volunteering at some places to get chatting to foresters etc. They will have some great advice, and its free advice.

I have 7 yrs previous chainsaw use and am still learning lots with carving and techniques. But most of all think of the safety and buying PPE is a must!

Enjoy :-)

You most certainly need to build up some saw competence before attempting to carve really as its a dangerous tool with no exp.

cs30/31

Try land skills training in dorking

Or plumpton college is probably closer

Ring F.r.jones they work with kingswood training and you may get a better deal on the course.

The only way you will make additional money is by working as a groundsman for a tree surgery company really.

If you want to go down that route it maybe worth thinking about a 9-12 week short course which will provide you with all necessary basic qualifications to become a trainee climber however many company's will expect at least 2 years experience on the ground.

Thanks for your reply

I was going to do a basic chainsaw course first. Just so I know how to use one.

I thinks its the way to start.

What saws do you use Josh?

Phil

I own a STIHL 210 a relatively light use semi domestic/pro saw, I also use a 231 STIHL but it does not belong to me.

I am currently working on rebuilding an old 020t top handled surgeons chainsaw I have the thing running but the allu muffler is ruined I need a new one as is 1/2 the casing including the part behind the centrifugal clutch that I have also had to remove.

So it is in many small pieces, what I really need is an old ms200t or a 020t that I can cannibalise for spare parts mainly the casing and the muffler.

Hopefully I will get parts soon.

Personally I'd fix the ms200 and flog it.

Get yourself a ms 240 or 260 for roughing out, you may want to put a quarter tip carving bar on it.

Then I would get a dime tip carving bar for detailing to go on the 210.

Worth giving a few people a buzz about correct carving bar and sprocket kits for each saw and get some prices.

If you've got some saw experience then you should be aware of the kick back zone if not do a bit of research this is greatly reduced when using a carving bar.

Begin with mushrooms as they are nice and easy to form carve the stem 1st then flip it over and do the top.

Do a few then go for something with basic easy form and keep going from there.

Hope that helps

hi newbee i may be able to help give you some tips etc i am busy this week with a big sculpture but if you give me a ring on 01258 863705 i am based in shaftesbury dorset if you wnt to come over to our workshop cheers and hope you are getting on ok once you get hooked tere is no going back hope to hear from you soon

Personally I'd fix the ms200 and flog it.

Get yourself a ms 240 or 260 for roughing out, you may want to put a quarter tip carving bar on it.

Then I would get a dime tip carving bar for detailing to go on the 210.

Worth giving a few people a buzz about correct carving bar and sprocket kits for each saw and get some prices.

If you've got some saw experience then you should be aware of the kick back zone if not do a bit of research this is greatly reduced when using a carving bar.

Begin with mushrooms as they are nice and easy to form carve the stem 1st then flip it over and do the top.

Do a few then go for something with basic easy form and keep going from there.

Hope that helps

Not me who is looking to carve mate the carving guy was just asking me what chainsaws I use :)

I also now own a 011av lovely old chainsaw :) metal casing and all, borderline mint condition few marks on casing laquer.