Transit 4x4

Barney

On the Mk 5 they had a standard Transit axle on the back with a 5.14:1 diff, The transfer box has a Borg Warner plate on it. Not entirely sure about the rest of the front end - much of it is County's own, but we're kinda hampered by having no workshop manuals! According to MJ Allen who handle the spares these days, there is no such thing, but one guy did turn up on the Transit forum saying he had one. He was going to get a copy out so we could duplicate it and pass it on, but after a few messages saying his scanner had broken etc etc, he disappeared and we never got it. I do have manuals and parts lists for the beam axle models if anyone needs a copy - though it's a fairly chunky manual so would take a while to copy!

Haven't heard of anyone else with bellhousing troubles tbh. There have been a lot of Mk4's on ebay lately with knackered front ends though - usually diff troubles it seems. That could well be down to people using the 4WD system on hard surfaces which it's not designed for. There's no centre diff so the transmission will wind up in no time if the wheels can't slip a bit.

Here's a few pics for anyone who hasn't seen the County Transit around:

Mk3

FireserviceCounty.jpg

Mk5

transitcounty_x61.jpg

Mine:001_tongue:

Photo-0004.jpg

Andy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These things tend to come in sets you find - I've bumped into the owners of several of my van's sisters- eg mine is P371, and I've met 361, 367, 369 and 372. The green one has several sisters too - was in very good nick but Maun Motors who were selling it were looking for over 9 grand plus VAT about four years back! Several of that group - reg ended in CBT were sold around the time - some up Newcastle way and I've seen one of them here in Lancaster.

The certainly get noticed anyway! Got any pics of yours - I only have pics of one SWB Mk5 I think.

Cheers,

Andy

Mine came from Maun motors, and yes I paid nearly £9k for it several years back. It was absolutely immaculate, had the turbo engine, 36k on the clock and proffesionaly resprayed in white. I foolishly traded it in for a 1717 4x4 Merc. Ended up in Scotland somewhere.

I now run a Peugeot Partner 600 4x4, which is a really nice little 4x4 Van.