The diary of a kindling maker

gensetsteve

All pallets have to treated to comply with eu standards. The only timber from pallets allowed to be burnt in domestic stoves by the EA are heat treated pallets which make up a very small percentage of new pallets and certainly have not as yet entered into the mainstream recycled pallet market.

Woody3

Which part of the above can you not read. It's quite simple kindling made from chemical treated timber according to EA cannot legally be burnt on domestic stoves and must be burnt under the rules of the waste incineration directive. Heat treated pallets are not chemically treated and are therefore allowed to be be used on domestic stoves. Simples

So where have I said burning all pallets is illegal.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woody3

Which part of the above can you not read. It's quite simple kindling made from chemical treated timber according to EA cannot legally be burnt on domestic stoves and must be burnt under the rules of the waste incineration directive. Heat treated pallets are not chemically treated and are therefore allowed to be be used on domestic stoves. Simples

So where have I said burning all pallets is illegal.

You will always get cheap illegal kindling made from pallets as trading standards/EA only seem to prosecute the big boys.

most pallets are ht that i come across, most of the timber we use comes from mill waste, pallet grade timber

the word treated seems to be misused

i can spot if timber has got oil or paint on it:laugh1:

all pallets are bad is simply not true

Woody3

If the only way you can make your point is to quote out of context than why bother. See original quotes 8,9,and 10

The facts still remain a large proportion of cheap kindling is made from illegal pallets. You queried my general reference to pallets and I gave a full definition of what is and is not allowed. Quite frankly I am not bothered what you use for your kindling just be aware that it is very easy to test for chemicals in wood products and prosecutions have been successfully made in the past. Going forward your kindling would not be allowed to be used on RHI scheme stoves as you cannot prove traceability of your pallets.

Edited by renewablejohn

Woody3

. Going forward your kindling would not be allowed to be used on RHI scheme stoves as you cannot prove traceability of your pallets.

yes i can:001_rolleyes: from mill to pallet maker to manufacture to client. packaging/pallet returned to pallet maker for recycling

i even know which wood it has come from:laugh1:

but you know best:001_rolleyes::thumbup1:

yes i can:001_rolleyes: from mill to pallet maker to manufacture to client. packaging/pallet returned to pallet maker for recycling

i even know which wood it has come from:laugh1:

but you know best:001_rolleyes::thumbup1:

Best of luck getting your RHI approved supplier status with that sort of logic your bound to be approved.