Rather poorly Oak

kevinjohnsonmbe

David, thank you! Sorry, couldn't see tops on that occasion, I was out on a social visit so didn't have ladders, bino's, parrot drone etc. I couldn't ID it in my ref books (AA Fungi on trees, Webber/Matheck Manual of Wood Decays in Trees, Strouts/Winter No.2 Diagnosis of I'll Health in Trees) and was feeling rather beaten! How do we best assess the impact/effect the specimen might have upon the host tree in a case like this - type of rot, likely extent / outcome for host tree etc? Appreciate your thoughts!

Not a particularly common find and seldom listed in the main arb resources.

Top of my head, I don't think we have it in the Arbtalk Fungi App.

They look to be located on the wounds of what may have been an old lightning strike (?)

I believe they're a saprobic species, degrading/consuming the dysfunctional wood.

Not a particularly common find and seldom listed in the main arb resources.

Top of my head, I don't think we have it in the Arbtalk Fungi App.

They look to be located on the wounds of what may have been an old lightning strike (?)

I believe they're a saprobic species, degrading/consuming the dysfunctional wood.

I make that correct on all counts Mr humphries, first sighting for me on Oak in any lit too, so thanks to the OP for the share:thumbup1:

One of the most stunning of shrooms, with the most awesome roll off the tongue name, and one of my all time faves:001_cool:

a seriously cool shroom, the shroom hunters shroom you might say:biggrin:

Agreed veteran Tony, but the location is high risk and quite worrying - I took a day trip across to Camelford/St Tudy area (Cornwall) to catch up with an old school buddy who's holidaying with his family at a park there. I was amazed that lodges had been built all around the tree at little more than 5-10 (varying) meters from the stem - I don't know what the chalet footings are but they looked 10-15 years old and dread to think what allowance was (or wasn't!) made for the RPA. Canopy with extensive deadwood, major limbs and stem with significant defects and children playing all day underneath. Here is a problem waiting to happen! I'll drop a line to the park owners and offer a climbing survey but I'm not optimistic they'll accept, there are several fairly amateurish historic limb reductions which tends to indicate either an "in-house" gardener or a local cowboy has had a go previously. I think I've got some more pics other than those posted earlier, I'll have a check a post 'em up if I do. Thanks for the feedback.