How do you become a sub contracter and what do you need???

John Megson 125

The only advice you will get from an insurance company will be to give them 400 quid.

Come on Josh you know that's bad advice. And I wouldn't involve HMRC until you have the work coming in either. Don't complicate things, get the work first. Even CS units are not essential, tree companies will employ you if your right for tree work and the rest will come. There's way too many people with CS units and no chance of surviving in the work place already, so if your one of those then give up, if not then carry on looking for employment.

You only live once, put yourself out there, don't dwindle don't dawdle just get on and do it, take what ever work comes your way! For what ever money you can take, because believe me or not if you don't then you won't get recognised!! Forget the climbing for now and put yourself out as a freelance brash dragger/groundy it's never going to buy you a magnum ice cream but it will get you a 20p ice pop!!! And that for a start is all you need!

Your 18 presumingly still living with parents/parent? At that age all you need to worry about is where your next beer is coming from!

Don't give up on the full time work keep looking but in the mean time think on your feet and keep your head down and knuckle in!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk Mobile App

You only live once, put yourself out there, don't dwindle don't dawdle just get on and do it, take what ever work comes your way! For what ever money you can take, because believe me or not if you don't then you won't get recognised!! Forget the climbing for now and put yourself out as a freelance brash dragger/groundy it's never going to buy you a magnum ice cream but it will get you a 20p ice pop!!! And that for a start is all you need!

Your 18 presumingly still living with parents/parent? At that age all you need to worry about is where your next beer is coming from!

Don't give up on the full time work keep looking but in the mean time think on your feet and keep your head down and knuckle in!!!!

:thumbup1: at 18 normally money isnt an issue and rent at your parents is cheap in comparison to the big bad world (i know im still at home :001_smile:) , get a buffer of money behind you and go for it. Be productive on your spare days, networking with emails and phonecalls, and go out for rec climbs to help get fast and keep fit :)

Good post Adam. Much more positive than mine!!

Thanks everyone you have all been very helpful and fairly supportive. I expected most people to say that I need more experience, which I totally agree with. I will use this advice to help me on my way to employment and if I am lucky enough to be offed any contracts I will only except ones that are with in my capabilities.

I live in Bamford, Derdyshire (near Sheffield) if anyone is in need of young subby groundsman with a small amount of experience but a will to work. ( comes cheep)