Hydroponics and cuttings

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Peter, I leave the door unlocked so they don't do any damage breaking in to the "heat source "

Cheers lads, any help I can get will be appreciated.

At the moment I have around 150 potted cuttings and I,m gradually learning what takes and what doesn't. I would like to give the hydro side a go just to see, would be interesting to find out.

One of the problems I have is keeping the humidity up and roots warm, the xstream propagator does both

• 3 weeks later...

I look forward to the update. I have a case of 3" grodan blocks if you want to try them at the same time. 25p each plus p&P

What happened to the growbags? I thought that was a neat idea and last time I looked at the thread you were getting some spectacular results.

Cheers :001_smile:

I managed to get about 50% out of the grow bags, I would have got more if I'd have punctured the bottom of the bags to allow for drainage. Found out after they were getting waterlogged.

Apparently there are some of those blocks specially for the xstream propagator I have bought but I want to try them with no medium at all. In hindsight I should have done some with and some without. But I have done 50% hardwood and 50% semi ripe to see what happens with each

Interesting. The airoponic system we had for fuschia cuttings had a foam collet to hold the stem. There was no medium at all beneath just a bare stalk. We never had any problem transplanting so it will be interesting to see how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...

well you've got the best propogater around but would recomend 24 hours of blue / white light (T5's are best), (how are the l.e.ds' working out?) once roots start to form open the vent at the top (gradually) to harden off & then reduce hours of daylight to 18/6. you don't really need rooting hormone for softwood cutting but it does improve the success percentage on hardwood cuttings. :thumbup:

no medium works best for this prop

working on acer cultivation at mo!

:lol: