too early in the season

log supplier

A bit early why? If the grass is growing, you cut it. Simple. I did my first cut of the year last week and my contracts have always stipulated one cut in december, january and february. That's what my clients ask for. What's the worst that can happen?

No, you don't cut grass just because it's growing. Read the lawn expert for starters. One cut in the months you mention is absolute heracy for professional grass care. Long term, there won't be any grass left to cut.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a couple of winter cuts helps keep away diseases, but ground conditions will have a lot to do with it, i saw some guys today scarifying, best thing to do if you ask me, get some fresh air into the turf:001_smile:

:wtf:

Scarifying now - are you crazy??!!!!!! Aeration yes, but scarifying hell no!!!

"RESIST the temptation to start mowing before it is growing vigourously, a few weeks away yet... "

Why is that though? I've always just started cutting when it's started growing and never seen any problems whatsoever. Not trying to start a row as you're a greenkeeper and obviously know your stuff. Would just like to know your reasoning. By the way, I have no desire for a bowling green lawn and neither do most of my clients (as far as I know!)

Also it surely makes a difference where you are? When to start would be different in Cornwall to when you start in Scotland?

"RESIST the temptation to start mowing before it is growing vigourously, a few weeks away yet... "

Why is that though? I've always just started cutting when it's started growing and never seen any problems whatsoever. Not trying to start a row as you're a greenkeeper and obviously know your stuff. Would just like to know your reasoning. By the way, I have no desire for a bowling green lawn and neither do most of my clients (as far as I know!)

Also it surely makes a difference where you are? When to start would be different in Cornwall to when you start in Scotland?

Think about it, the grass has been effectively dormant over the winter, surviving on some warmth (our climate), soil fertility (autumn feed if done) and food in the root system. It is fragile at the beginning of the season hence why I said "vigourously" growing first. The first cut should be when active growth is observed and no frost is guaranteed. Only a very little should be removed on this first cut having lightly swept the area with besom brush. 2 cuts max for March I would say. Scarification is to remove surface thatch, NOT to aerate the soil (that is spiking or hollow-tining) and should be carried out in the autumn. Aeration was traditionally an autumn job as was topdresssing but the former can be done as weather and soil conditions allow remembering it is for decompaction and air exchange.

Re regionally, yes the warmer the clime, the longer the mowing season.

Happily, grass or more precisley the PRG mixes common to domestic lawns are quite tough and survive the nothing other than mowing regime well. Heavy traffic and scalping destroy a good sward very rapidly. I would say scalping is the number 1 mistake that the British lawn owner makes; they all want bowling greens and think that a low HOC will achieve it. Sadly all they get is moss.

Timber cutter, regards cutting at the moment, If we are talking bowling green or tennis court then id agree with you however for ordinary grass areas your talking a load of balls.:thumbdown:

Nowt wrong with a high cut now as long as its growing and around here it is.

I cant see any point in cutting in December/ Jan/ Feb and indeed this is likely to cause problems but as long as the weather is suitably warm then beginning the cutting regime in Early March is IMO fine.

Think about it, the grass has been effectively dormant over the winter, surviving on some warmth (our climate), soil fertility (autumn feed if done) and food in the root system. It is fragile at the beginning of the season hence why I said "vigourously" growing first. The first cut should be when active growth is observed and no frost is guaranteed. Only a very little should be removed on this first cut having lightly swept the area with besom brush. 2 cuts max for March I would say. Scarification is to remove surface thatch, NOT to aerate the soil (that is spiking or hollow-tining) and should be carried out in the autumn. Aeration was traditionally an autumn job as was topdresssing but the former can be done as weather and soil conditions allow remembering it is for decompaction and air exchange.

Re regionally, yes the warmer the clime, the longer the mowing season.

Happily, grass or more precisley the PRG mixes common to domestic lawns are quite tough and survive the nothing other than mowing regime well. Heavy traffic and scalping destroy a good sward very rapidly. I would say scalping is the number 1 mistake that the British lawn owner makes; they all want bowling greens and think that a low HOC will achieve it. Sadly all they get is moss.

i was thinking along the same lines:dito: