Draft standard on tree planting released for consultation today

Paul Barton

The long awaited BS8545 was released in draft today. You can read it at: Trees: from nursery to independence in the landscape ? Recommendations | DRS

This standard is in some ways long overdue - the rate of failure for newly planted trees is way too high and much of this is due to poor preparation and planting practice.

This standard therefore sets the bar for better planting...and your comments are all welcome on the BSI website as this draft is open for consultation until Aug 31st.

Yes since it requires a click to view each little bit, instead of having the whole text available to peruse (unless I am missing something), it will take a while to get through.

I do like the BSI format of comments required to be constructive; only accepted if the commenter suggests a specific change. This, and having it on the web, may be instructive to the ANSI A300 folks in the US...

Anyone had a chance to read through this yet? (I haven't!).

Yep.

My initial thoughts are that this could be a much simpler document - and more likely to be embraced for that simplicity. The feng shui of the document is complex (there are sub-flowcharts that arise from flowcharts, there are multiple references per clause (see attached) and there is just too much informative text. Some of the sub clause notes are larger than the clause they annotate!

To my mind the proportions are awry; there are 30 odd pages of standard and 60 pages of annex - all useful extra guidance but clearing it all to the end means that your continually navigating back and forth...

Anyhoo - now have to try and comment via the BSI website. No point just moaning huh?

Capture.jpg.7b9e23e39db69c6f30c02114bf82a99d.jpg

Edited by Amelanchier