You might say I'm a dreamer...

JN9

Well, many thanks for the helpful posts. I'm pretty sure that this is the way I want to go...

Is there anything I can be doing now? I have volunteered to help out at my local country park (I know its only potentially loosly connected but its the best I can think of at the moment).

I indirectly know someone who used to be in the business, and he has suggested getting as much knowledge on plant biology as possible... Is there any particularly good source for this? Or is it a case of getting a book, and get studying...?

Do Arb companies have labourers or an aquivalent? Could I get any experience before I sign up for the course? Or am I better off trying once I've completed the course?

Good plan. The difficult bit might be "get relevant job". Even with the short course under your belt you just might not be the person that someone wants to employ. There's no measure for that, some just won't get a job. I hope you do though.

You r volunteer work is good, but don't for a second think that the pace of work in commercial tree work is going to be as easy as in a country park.

I would try and get experience before the course of I was you. Of course tree companies need labourers, I'm always struggling to find good ones. I get people with chainsaw tickets and even climbing tickets but no one who's actually got a days work them..

Of you did a volunteer day for someone and they ask you back for more days paid, then.you know you are possibly of the right stuff. Chainsaws etc can wait,there's lots that any able bodies person can get on with if they are keen.

Driving license is far more useful than anything else on your list. Without that your chances of employment are low.

Proclimber training will be very good, but also "arborventure" are very near you, and they do tree work, maybe get a days experience there too.

Oh. And why would you need insurance?

Insurance? Well I don't really know, just something someone mentioned... I take it that this is not an issue then?

Arbo Venture look like a good company and very convenient for where I live.

Looks like I may have to slightly reconsider the idea of doing a training course and then going straight into work... I think that doing the relevant courses over a longer period and trying to get some work under my belt while I'm doing it might be a better way.

Like I said before, I was told that a lot of knowledge on plant biology is needed, however I haven't really seen it mentioned during my internet scouring... Is this as big a deal as I was led to believe?

You have got a plan which is more than some people do and ambition to drive you then you will do just fine.

I didnt start up until over a year ago and im 33 this year I still need my trailer licence and a few more tickets I have an ongoing muscluar/ligament issue with leg pain which I am trying to sort before I do my next tickets as I know it will hold me back and is a big confidence thing for me had physio etc didnt work now trying yoga next stop sports therapist but I am determined and I know I am capable and I will sort it soon.I wish I had known years ago as would of ventured of to arb college and done it that way instead of doing tickets I absolutley crave to learn more but find it hard with everything else I have to deal with to fit it all in arbtalk is an amazing place to pick up helpfull info etc so do your research check how many companies are already operating in your area in your area check what methods of advertising work etc .

If you know what you want then go for it I know people who started up much later than you but as others have said there are a lot out there who are doing it then your up against general builders etc who are willing to take chainsaws to peoples trees for half the price a proffesional would charge with no experience at all its scary what some people are willing to do I have so many customers say to me I wish I could work outdoors and do what your doing .Good luck

Well many thanks for all of the replies... This is all very interesting and potentially exciting...

It would seem that driving should be my priority and I don't think that should be too much trouble. I did do driving lessons a while back but sadly ran out of money before I could finish (I was also very lazy about booking my theory), and I was pretty good at the driving part, so hopefully should be able to get that sorted relatively quickly.

Sadly though, this has all got to wait until I have got myself married (end of August), and I've actually got some money again...

Also I think I would be better off not doing a 6 week crash course, and instead doing the courses broken down and try to get some kind of volenteer work/paid work while I'm doing them.

The main thing I really want to know is whether there is anything that I can do now? Anything I should be reading up on?

I don't think plant biology and all that stuff it's any use really, it's good for your interest but if you want to work for a company doing tree work then there is no need for it, only a need to work hard. Tree surgery is more about logistics and moving stuff.

What you could be doing now is going to the gym, unless you're already well fit?

Well I'd say I'm 'quite fit', but its all relative really isn't it...

I do Boxing and Thai Boxing quite intermitantly, for example I'll do four or five sessions one week and (like this week) only one on others, I also try to swing a kettlebell about five times a week. I normally run 5k on a saturday morning (although hangovers have gotten in the way of that in recent weeks), and I also cycle to work so I do about 45-50miles a week on my bike...

So I consider myself fitter than the average bear, but I don't know how fit you guys are or how fit I need to be... I'm kind of hoping that I can wing it a bit...

Well I'd say I'm 'quite fit', but its all relative really isn't it...

I do Boxing and Thai Boxing quite intermitantly, for example I'll do four or five sessions one week and (like this week) only one on others, I also try to swing a kettlebell about five times a week. I normally run 5k on a saturday morning (although hangovers have gotten in the way of that in recent weeks), and I also cycle to work so I do about 45-50miles a week on my bike...

So I consider myself fitter than the average bear, but I don't know how fit you guys are or how fit I need to be... I'm kind of hoping that I can wing it a bit...

Sounds like you'll be ok. Fitness is more important than tree biology..!!

No one can tell you.

Some people are cut out for it, some aren't.

I seem to meet a lot of people who 'used to do tree surgery'.

You'll never know until you try will you?

The short course is a useful starting point, and that's it. You need to work for experienced firms for a while until you even begin to know what it's all about.

It's a good life though.

I've even still got most of my limbs and a small amount of my hair left.

I used to do tree surgery :001_tt2: now all I do is drink red wine and Cider on a park bench :lol: