Another first for my self :)

Coletti

So I've had another go at some carving today and I did an owl. Now before anybody says anything...I am well aware that the little chap has club foot haha but for my first attempt at an owl and only my 5th ever carving I'm very pleased with how it turned out, took me just under 2 hours. Honest opinions and constructive criticism will be gratefully received :)ImageUploadedByArbtalk1370880681.851362.jpg.33d9351e5645bed3f5309e121a26ca67.jpg

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1370880668.591404.jpg.77df26cbaaca8d5317defada2d7fcb60.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1370880658.938265.jpg.8f1421075bbeaa4455d5a26f0f1abc4d.jpg

It's a good effort mate for a 1st attempt.

The body's a good shape, the log looks small so I'm thinking that if you'd made it a tawny owl rather than a barn you could have done it sat hunched and not worried about the legs and just carved some talons in front of the body.

Just a bit of friendly advice keep up the good work.

Well at least it wasn't a waste the more you carve the better you'll become and changing from a meerkat to an owl is a bloody good effort.

I find when I'm trying something new when carving to keep everything a little bigger but also think about your proportions most of my stuff begins its form short and fat, by the time I've given it every woman's dream slim down by shaving it off little by little you get a good feeling for the form and once you've done a few of the same piece this is when your speed picks up because the form is in your head therefore you get to it a lot faster. If that makes any sense I hope it helps for the next 1. Looking forward to seeing it.

• 4 months later...