running in a chainsaw

Joseph W

I have finally bitten the bullet and saved enough money to buy the 550xp. I will be ordering it tomorrow form FRjones I think. I have never had a new saw of my own and wanted to know if any of you could tell me the best way to run in a new chainsaw, or if it can just work hard 'straight out of the box'. Thanks, Joe.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Different schools of thought there.........Me I run 4-5 tanks of gas thru them before I really work em......but with the auto tune I dunno buddy as never had an auto tune.

I'd assume your dealer or Husky could advise ya there or the saw guru's on here

I have finally bitten the bullet and saved enough money to buy the 550xp. I will be ordering it tomorrow form FRjones I think. I have never had a new saw of my own and wanted to know if any of you could tell me the best way to run in a new chainsaw, or if it can just work hard 'straight out of the box'. Thanks, Joe.

The manual will tell you how to run it in but personally I run full throttle and max speed but for short cuts and avoid long extended cuts through big wood for 5 - 10 tanks.

Avoid excessive heat build up!

I put a tank of fuel through mine just letting it tick over, tank through with my finger on the throttle going at half revs then I just logged up some fire wood with it for a while, I found a first it was a bit temperamental cutting out after I'd finished cutting and hard to restart but after I used it abit more its got better and better, now it runs perfect! I'd say start it and let it tick over for abit before you start cutting, apparently that's good for the auto tune!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

thanks everyone-sounds like there are mixed views on it but i'll make sure to read the manual to see what advice it gives! I'm planning on running a 13" bar and chain on it, purely to avoid it bogging down and maybe overworking the engine? maybe i'm just being a pansy...any thoughts on this, or shall i just put a 15" on from the start so i have a bit more flexibility? the other question I wanted to ask is should i remove the felling dogs? I read somewhere on Arbtalk that this avoids you driving your saw through the wood and straining the engine, also gives you a bit more available bar, is this sound advice or just leave them on? thanks, joe.

I put a tank of fuel through mine just letting it tick over, tank through with my finger on the throttle going at half revs then I just logged up some fire wood with it for a while, I found a first it was a bit temperamental cutting out after I'd finished cutting and hard to restart but after I used it abit more its got better and better, now it runs perfect! I'd say start it and let it tick over for abit before you start cutting, apparently that's good for the auto tune!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I would have said that's pretty much the exact opposite of what it said in the book ......I will; see if I can find it .