SpiderJack 2.1

Dan Earp

I use a SJ and am quite happy with it. With a larger diameter rope it can be a little jumpy until the cam wears but a slightly smaller rope will run smoother and self tend better. It can be a little "puckering" the first time you use it as you have to sit back against it to lock it off. If you hold on to the rope or the SJ generally it tends to keep sliding. Usually I give the tail of the rope a quick tug upwards as I sit back and it all locks off nicely. Getting used to the breaking system can also be "interesting" as you can go into free fall if you get it wrong. Just practice with it a little and start off low and slow. I love mine and wasn't tempted to swap when the ZZ came out. Very glad I didn't, it does have its faults but I prefer it over a hitch.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

ive had my spiderjack a fair while but i dont use it all the time i just cant always get on with it, spready trees its excellent but that does not happen every day. be careful if you do get one as getting used to the breaking lever well can be intresting :blushing:

i do prefer my hitchclimber set up but the SJ can self tend excellently and you can just climb the tree.

It`s worth trying before you buy. some love it some hate it. Personally I like mine, they have advantages and disadvantages. They tend well and are good for fast descents but then they are difficult to use above your anchor and a take a bit of getting used to left handed.

It`s worth trying before you buy. some love it some hate it. Personally I like mine, they have advantages and disadvantages. They tend well and are good for fast descents but then they are difficult to use above your anchor and a take a bit of getting used to left handed.

Why left handed? ( unless u mean you are a lefty) ! Lol

Thanks guys for the advise so far, i will look into it further.

Also ill be using my 11mm marlow rope with it, is that too skinny? I know it takes 11-13mm ropes. But what do the users think?

Thanks again lads

By using it left handed I mean you operate the device with one hand using thumb to control descent and fingers to release the cam. As I`m right handed if I need to descend or let rope out with the left hand, when reaching for example, it can be tricky and takes some getting used to, not that it happens that often or I would probably be better at it. It`s difficult to use right handed to start with for the same reason, you need to learn how to coordinate the thumb on the wooden brake and then let the cam off with your finger or you go whoosh. I hope that makes sense.

Re rope diameter, I was using 13mm yale XTC and am now on bluetongue which is thinner. Of the two the blue tongue is far superior

By using it left handed I mean you operate the device with one hand using thumb to control descent and fingers to release the cam. As I`m right handed if I need to descend or let rope out with the left hand, when reaching for example, it can be tricky and takes some getting used to, not that it happens that often or I would probably be better at it. It`s difficult to use right handed to start with for the same reason, you need to learn how to coordinate the thumb on the wooden brake and then let the cam off with your finger or you go whoosh. I hope that makes sense.

Re rope diameter, I was using 13mm yale XTC and am now on bluetongue which is thinner. Of the two the blue tongue is far superior

Ok i get you now, thanks for the tips bid

Dan