Limb walking advice?

cerneARB

fluidity is the way forward (well along) keep moving. slow isnt best. if you feel you need to stop try and find a crotch to jam a foot into to hold you in place. try on big stable limbs first as smaller limbs are bendier

Jamie

also if you are at a point that you think i cant go any further .take a breather and compse yourself then re assess the situation you will be amazed at how many times you can go that little bit further ...

kleimeist is what i use and yes it can bind sometimes but if i feel im going to be in a situation that reqires a quick adjustment ( ie limb walking back into the tree ) before i begin my retrace i just loosen it off slightly so that it doesn't require too much effort . but yes as said it all comes with practice and you canbe sure that all if not nearly all ( those who say they didn't are people who also never admit to masturbation) ;):flute::clap: have been at the stage you are in where its just your minds natural reaction to say nnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooo stop what do you think you are doing trusting your life to that flimsy bit of rope and walking out on that branch that is gaurenteed to snap if you go any further :idea:

good luck with it

I'm a bit of a dinosaur, I climb with an untended Blake's hitch. I climb trees for a living and I go where I have to go to get the tree done, get paid and go home. Necessity is a great teacher. Focus on where you need to go and go there. It sounds odd but I find that I can feel the strength of a tree through my feet. If you climb long enough you develop a sense for what a branch can take. Walk out a little ways on your branch and bounce. Shake that limb. How it vibrates will give you a greater feel for it. When I remove trees I shake them as hard as I can(the live ones) after all their branches are off. It helps you start trusting their strength more.

In the end getting comfortable in trees just takes time.

off topic but....get to the top of a bendy pole when the tops off and give it a wiggle, thats always fun.

i to climb an untended blakes too its the climber not the hitch that makes the system.

mind if you are miles out a second anchor can help. and if you slip you dont swing in (and down)

Jamie

I whole heartedly agree with Old Monkey.

It will all come with the more time that you spend in the harness, and before you know you'll be climbing out level with your anchor point and wondering why you found it so hard.

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but I find for me when coming back in with an untended hitch its best to do it in smal bits, i'e go a few feet you'll feel the limb bend beneath your weight, pull yourself by tensioning your line, go a bit further feel the limb bend, and so on, till your far enough to just walk back to the trunk get comfy and tend the slack again.

I found when I first tried to teach myself to climb I was always keeping my weight on the rope, which meant progress was slow, and hard work on my arms, now i'll climb the tree using my legs and arms. :)

• 1 month later...