Woodfuel Chipper

renewablejohn

its hard enough making a do out of roundwood, never mind trying to follow harvesting gear around.

Not really

By development and news following the brash bailing and chipping any contractor's perpared to invest in to this buissness will be make a good deal of money. UPM Tillhill have selected there biomass contractors and even in an economic situation that the country is now contractors are placing orderers for brand new clambunk forwarders and tubgrinders to suit the operation.

With all the new biomass plants opening and contracts forming with the FC and other comapanys. Theres some money there. :001_tongue:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said a bulker was 20 cubic mtrs just an assumption for the size of a truck to give a practical comparison of IBC's to fill it as each IBC is approx 1 cu mtr.

Why will filling a trailer be any different to filling 6 IBC's on a trailer.

I understood that 20 cube was just a comparison, i think what B.E means is forward the brash to roadside then chip direct into artic trailers, the turnaround time on lorries using the method you describe would be unbearable, as i think as said before 80-100 bins per load , youre quoting as a comparison to spuds 30 mins but obviosly chip by comparison is a different issue.

Just looking at Timberjacks website, I noticed this "Slash Bundler".

Every bundle contains 1 mWh of energy and the bundle lengths can be easily transported to the power plant by conventional timber trucks.

Assuming the bundles could be ground at the plant, it does away with baling and bale handling..........

1490d.jpg

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by Arran Woodfuels
added video

Every bundle contains 1 mWh of energy and the bundle lengths can be easily transported to the power plant by conventional timber trucks.

Assuming the bundles could be ground at the plant, it does away with baling and bale handling..........

1490d.jpg

This is the alternative approach I referred to earlier but how many chippers could you buy for the price of this machine and you still have the problem of Green brash as opposed to letting it die back for 2 months and then chipping it.

I never said a bulker was 20 cubic mtrs just an assumption for the size of a truck to give a practical comparison of IBC's to fill it as each IBC is approx 1 cu mtr.

Why will filling a trailer be any different to filling 6 IBC's on a trailer.

Having re-read your post I accept that you were not saying that a bulker is 20cu/mtr, as for the filling of the IBCs, if you are filling the IBCs individually, then the movement of the chute and the containers will be a slow job, if you are having a trailer built to perfectly fit 6 IBCs, with higher sides so you can blow the chip into the trailer and fill the IBCs I can see where you are coming from, the sides of the trailer will need to be removable to get the IBCs off from the side, I still think it would be messy as there is bound to be spillage between the IBC and the sides, and if you are filling this way the chipper will be sat idle whilst transporting the chip etc.

Please do not think that I am critisising as I am not, but healthy discussion can help us all to make jobs like this more profitable. I have moved chip out of sites using specially constructed dumpy bags, dumpers, unimogs and tippers and I have not yet found an easier, more productive way than forwarding the raw product and chipping into skips / trailers at road side. This, as I say is my experience, others may have better ways.:001_smile:

1490d.jpg

Hi mate, that is a brash bailer. Tillhill run two by a sub_contractors and as i said before they are subsidised buy UPM. It is the ONLY way they can make it work. If you go to Scandanavia the only brash bailers still working are they ones subsidised by the giverment. The rest are rusting away.

The brash bails in this country are taken to Shotton and chipped on site, usually containing stones and all sorts.

Extracting the material to roadside and then chipping is the only way to make biomass profitable, It's best if used as a combined operation with conventional harvesting.

There is not ewnough money paid at the top end to purchase standing material for processing into biomass chip.

I to am not trying to knock you but i do have considerable exprience of this and deal with these issues on a daily basis.

I have just lost a contract to Tillhill's brash bailers in N Wales purely because the are subsidised.

- sawtooth - to say there is good money to be made by investing money in the equipment you suggest is extremley mis-leading.

that is a brash bailer

Well, yeah....... brash goes in one end and a bundle comes out the other.....:closedeyes:

I was just trying to show that there are better methods to extract brash for CHP fuel than chipping in the forest and transporting buckets of chip to waiting lorries.

But Buzz is absolutely correct, and by all accounts, he knows what he's talking about.

Edited by Arran Woodfuels
typo

Having re-read your post I accept that you were not saying that a bulker is 20cu/mtr, as for the filling of the IBCs, if you are filling the IBCs individually, then the movement of the chute and the containers will be a slow job, if you are having a trailer built to perfectly fit 6 IBCs, with higher sides so you can blow the chip into the trailer and fill the IBCs I can see where you are coming from, the sides of the trailer will need to be removable to get the IBCs off from the side, I still think it would be messy as there is bound to be spillage between the IBC and the sides, and if you are filling this way the chipper will be sat idle whilst transporting the chip etc.

Coming from a farming background a silage machine is very similar to a woodchipper in that it is the slowest operation and the number of trailers required to support the machines continuous operation is dependent on the distance to the silage pit and the time it takes to unload. The same logic can be applied to the chipper.

With regards the trailer, modifying the existing forwarding trailer would mean that a temporary top could sit on top of the IBC's attached to the existing grapple arm for ease of lifting up to remove the IBC's.

Buzz

It is because of the uneconomic nature of these balers that I am looking at alternative ways of extracting brash out of the forest using standard forestry equipment. Whilst I accept the extraction of roundwood to roadside for future chipping I cannot see how you can do the same for brash purely in terms of damage caused to the forest floor.