Woodfuel Chipper

renewablejohn

I must say that this operation seems to have a lot of scope to fail, there are alot of different operations that mean multi handling of the chip to get it to the truck, the filling of the IBCs will be messy and if you are using a large chipper as you will need to so as the truck is not taking more than an hour or so to fill, will the forwarder keep up, can you not forward the timber/ brash and chip diect into the trailer?

IMO there could be better ways of doing this, but you know your site etc so may be I am missing something.:confused1:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say that this operation seems to have a lot of scope to fail, there are alot of different operations that mean multi handling of the chip to get it to the truck, the filling of the IBCs will be messy and if you are using a large chipper as you will need to so as the truck is not taking more than an hour or so to fill, will the forwarder keep up, can you not forward the timber/ brash and chip diect into the trailer?

IMO there could be better ways of doing this, but you know your site etc so may be I am missing something.:confused1:

Filling of IBC's will be just like a silage trailer. Fill over the top of the containers and by the time you get to roadside the chip will settle into the containers. If truck carries 20 cubic mtrs then have 25 IBC's ready for loading on roadside. A good loader should load in less than 30 mins based on time needed to load a lorry load of potatoes.

Got to say they were my thoughtsB.E,

What will you use to forward the bins out? also it seems a lot of bins ton to fi

ll a bulker when dry chip i.e around 30% goes at about 3.5- 4 cube/t.

Im not here to put the dampeners on things as youve obviously thought this through, but i can see problems achieving a profitable output chipping brash on a commercial scale unless the setup is highly mechanised. Im assuming from your past posts you will be handfeeding the chipper?

Got to say they were my thoughtsB.E,

What will you use to forward the bins out? also it seems a lot of bins ton to fi

ll a bulker when dry chip i.e around 30% goes at about 3.5- 4 cube/t.

Im not here to put the dampeners on things as youve obviously thought this through, but i can see problems achieving a profitable output chipping brash on a commercial scale unless the setup is highly mechanised. Im assuming from your past posts you will be handfeeding the chipper?

Handfeeding you must be joking. 3 tonne tracked excavator with grapple into hopefully chipper which started this thread and our standard logging trailer modified to carry 6 IBC's at a time filled like a silage trailer

Handfeeding you must be joking. 3 tonne tracked excavator with grapple into hopefully chipper which started this thread and our standard logging trailer modified to carry 6 IBC's at a time filled like a silage trailer

o.k ,i stand corrected on that , its just that the chipper you were talking about is basically a hand fed model, and even with round timber in perfect conditions would have only a moderate output, and surely to fill a bulker you would be looking at around 80-100 IBCs?

Filling of IBC's will be just like a silage trailer. Fill over the top of the containers and by the time you get to roadside the chip will settle into the containers. If truck carries 20 cubic mtrs then have 25 IBC's ready for loading on roadside. A good loader should load in less than 30 mins based on time needed to load a lorry load of potatoes.

I think your 20cu,mtr assumption is a little off the mark, a 40cumtr skip is approx 6 mtrs long, if you are filling an artic tipper / walking floor you are looking at around double that.

the throughput of a HM4-300 will be upto 35cu / hr max with a 100 horse power tractor, if you are loading into the IBC that will slow you down to about half that, With brash the figures will be less.

:questionmark:

By the sounds of it you'd be better off not bothering at all ! There is not enough value per ton to fanny around like you are proposing.

They were my thoughts too Buzz, but dont like to shoot a man down for trying. Even if you had a niche domestic market i still couldnt see it stacking up using this method-- its hard enough making a do out of roundwood, never mind trying to follow harvesting gear around.

I think your 20cu,mtr assumption is a little off the mark, a 40cumtr skip is approx 6 mtrs long, if you are filling an artic tipper / walking floor you are looking at around double that.

the throughput of a HM4-300 will be upto 35cu / hr max with a 100 horse power tractor, if you are loading into the IBC that will slow you down to about half that, With brash the figures will be less.

:questionmark:

I never said a bulker was 20 cubic mtrs just an assumption for the size of a truck to give a practical comparison of IBC's to fill it as each IBC is approx 1 cu mtr.

Why will filling a trailer be any different to filling 6 IBC's on a trailer.