Starter

jackmayo

I didnt mean that it was only for 'experts' more so that if he is new to tree climbing it might put him off right from the start:laugh1:

It sounds like he wants it as basic and cheap as poss so prussik and 13mm will be the best and easiest to use combo IMO.

Good to see your helping him out with a climb,as its easier to pass on expertise and knowledge face to face rather than over a keyboard.:thumbup1:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt mean that it was only for 'experts' more so that if he is new to tree climbing it might put him off right from the start:laugh1:

It sounds like he wants it as basic and cheap as poss so prussik and 13mm will be the best and easiest to use combo IMO.

Good to see your helping him out with a climb,as its easier to pass on expertise and knowledge face to face rather than over a keyboard.:thumbup1:

:laugh1: with you now :laugh1: it's not that bad! I have to admit though, I do think it would be better without the coating..... :001_smile:

You back on a blakes now Arran....? I used to get frustrated with it jamming up.

Fair play to you, back to the old school.... :thumbup1:

Yes funny old progress really, ill try to explain now but will be easy to show on the rec climb why i think a blakes is better :001_smile:

blakes vs hitchclimber

1) on ascent when using a hitch climber you ascend hand over hand then tend the slack or it self tends if your high enough. ascending hand overhand for me eliminates body thrusting so you are just using your arm muscles and no stomach muscles. On blakes you have to thrust using less arms and more stomach, meaning your arms and elbows do not get worked as much .

2) moving out to the tips of limbs its equal between the two

3) on a hitch climber you can pull slack out the line one handed which you cannot do on a blakes. So if you have a tricky limb walk back into the stem you cannot hold on to a branch and tend the line in one handed. Meaning on blakes you have balance alot better which isnt really a bad thing as it improves your balance and limb walks back in.

3) my blakes rarely jams up but a think that all comes down to the right cord and rope. same as your hitch. But you get no sit back or slipping or having to dress.

4) footlocking is faster on blakes for myself

5) I think a pulley saver and blakes are such a good combo. Its smooth in every sense for me.

6) less clutter and cheaper.

probly missed loads of pros and cons etc. I still reckon im the same speed/ a little faster on a blakes rather than using a hitch climber whislt working.:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

Yes funny old progress really, ill try to explain now but will be easy to show on the rec climb why i think a blakes is better :001_smile:

blakes vs hitchclimber

1) on ascent when using a hitch climber you ascend hand over hand then tend the slack or it self tends if your high enough. ascending hand overhand for me eliminates body thrusting so you are just using your arm muscles and no stomach muscles. On blakes you have to thrust using less arms and more stomach, meaning your arms and elbows do not get worked as much .

2) moving out to the tips of limbs its equal between the two

3) on a hitch climber you can pull slack out the line one handed which you cannot do on a blakes. So if you have a tricky limb walk back into the stem you cannot hold on to a branch and tend the line in one handed. Meaning on blakes you have balance alot better which isnt really a bad thing as it improves your balance and limb walks back in.

3) my blakes rarely jams up but a think that all comes down to the right cord and rope. same as your hitch. But you get no sit back or slipping or having to dress.

4) footlocking is faster on blakes for myself

5) I think a pulley saver and blakes are such a good combo. Its smooth in every sense for me.

6) less clutter and cheaper.

probly missed loads of pros and cons etc. I still reckon im the same speed/ a little faster on a blakes rather than using a hitch climber whislt working.:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

I look forward to giving it a try on the 20th! :thumbup:

I did struggle with the hitch climber when I switched to it, mostly for the slack tending, pulling from below a split tail made more sense to me but I don't really miss that now, I tried an o rig and couldn't get on with it at all.... :001_huh:

I look forward to giving it a try on the 20th! :thumbup:

I did struggle with the hitch climber when I switched to it, mostly for the slack tending, pulling from below a split tail made more sense to me but I don't really miss that now, I tried an o rig and couldn't get on with it at all.... :001_huh:

blakes and pulley saver are awesome but you cannot proper bang out of trees. perfect for work. hc is good on rec climbs and i will still bring it as you can fly out and around trees like a maniac. + only using marlow boa cord so I can just throw it away at the end of the day when its all shiney melted and black. :thumbup: