Ms260 chain brake won't stay fixed!

RobRainford

Chain brake not applied over eagerly. Most of the time the chain is stopped or is about to.

There is no rubber on the spring and there hasn't been since I last changed the brake band.

Ill order a new spring and see if it persists. Could just be an age related issue

I'm confused... You say the spring on the post??? The spring doesn't go on the post. The shorter end goes direct onto band, the other end goes on a lever that then sits on a post and then goes to brake handle...

Sorry if I'm reading your post wrong but it sounds like you are trying to attach the spring to the post and not the small lever.

There should be a plastic tube that goes over the spring, this tube presses up against the cover so the spring cant fall off the rear pin as there is no room for movement once the cover is in place, the spring still moves inside the tube allowing the brake to snap on and off. I always apply a little grease to the spring under the plastic tube.

There should be a plastic tube that goes over the spring, this tube presses up against the cover so the spring cant fall off the rear pin as there is no room for movement once the cover is in place, the spring still moves inside the tube allowing the brake to snap on and off. I always apply a little grease to the spring under the plastic tube.

Have a look at this video, which clearly shows the spring and plastic tube, as well as how to fit it (at 11:10) [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Fp4TwRD40&t=11m10s]Stihl chainsaw repair . Part 6 - YouTube[/ame]

I installed it exactly how he did in the video, slide it off the combi spanner. Although I don't have the bit of rubber on the spring. I'm putting it down as age related and ill order a new one.

As previous posters have indicated, could the cause of your problem be the lack of the rubber tube around the spring. Why not just try fitting the small piece of tube. According to the MS 260 parts list:

1121 162 8000: Hose 12x1x20mm

- or is that what "ill order a new one" should be interpreted as?