Saw Purchase:)

Kay 9

Depends to some extent what you will use it for,with a 12 inch bar it will cut fast,& no real risk of touching your toes with it,(a common injury when snedding).

If you intend to cut logs over 10 inch diameter,then go for the larger bar,if you are long in the leg I would go 15'' anyway,the saw will more than pull it.

They are a very fast saw,your in for some fun with it!:biggrin:

Yeah will stick with the 15" so as I'm 6'3 and will occasionally be bucking with it also. Can't wait to get home and in timber lol. Best read the manual first though as some on here had starting and running problems seemingly. Is there much of a run in period needed?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah will stick with the 15" so as I'm 6'3 and will occasionally be bucking with it also. Can't wait to get home and in timber lol. Best read the manual first though as some on here had starting and running problems seemingly. Is there much of a run in period needed?

Modern saws are pretty good from the off,just dont rev it flat out when its not in wood,when cutting use full throttle but try not to slog it hard in big wood,I always run a new saw normaly for a few minutes,then let it tick over for half a minute to disipate heat,turn it off to let it cool a bit,then back cutting again.

couple of tank fulls & it will be bedding in,four tank fulls & give it hell!:biggrin:

Its not great to run them at half throttle when cutting,as they can run lean on fuel.

Modern saws are pretty good from the off,just dont rev it flat out when its not in wood,when cutting use full throttle but try not to slog it hard in big wood,I always run a new saw normaly for a few minutes,then let it tick over for half a minute to disipate heat,turn it off to let it cool a bit,then back cutting again.

couple of tank fulls & it will be bedding in,four tank fulls & give it hell!:biggrin:

Its not great to run them at half throttle when cutting,as they can run lean on fuel.

Yeah that's the way I run a new saw too pretty much, just run it wot but in wood and don't have it labouring. Thanks again Geoff. We cut the hedges with saws which I think isn't great as it's rarely wot and one tends to be constantly blipping the throttle. Will use one the older saws for that or else invest in a hedge trimmer.

The prices back home are horrific to say the least, I don't know how lads living off the saw make a penny with the price of replacements, service parts etc. I'm from a little place out wesht called Clonbur. Between the Corrib and the Mask.

Small world this , I worked in Petersburg outdoor education centre for 2 years going back many years , one great place to live (Joyce country:thumbup1:). Is the chipper still there , I went cow tipping for the first time just behind the payphone box.:lol:

Small world this , I worked in Petersburg outdoor education centre for 2 years going back many years , one great place to live (Joyce country:thumbup1:). Is the chipper still there , I went cow tipping for the first time just behind the payphone box.:lol:

haha, small world indeed Grass hopper. Greasy Joes is gone for a number of years now, 7 or 8 I think. The day of the payphone is gone now also. How did the cow tipping go for ya lol. DOn't know how many times I've been asked about cow tipping since I started living in London:lol: Most the lads at work know I've a farm at home so find it quite amusing:)

run both saws, 346xp, ms261. the stihl is reliable so far, both good blocking down saws, good underwood cutting saws, but have had to do a couple of things to the husky and it seems to shake itself to bits???
Can't comment other than what I've heard Mad Matty apart from the 346 becoming rattly after much use.

Are you near the lake or the other way , people I did know back then Yvonne Laffey , her gran had a pub in the town her dad has sheep , Olive Joyce her dad the post man.

I'm actually near the Corrib mate and not the Mask. 1 mile outside Clonbur. Yeah nice little pub for a drink that. Not sure if they open any more though. Good friends of the family in fact. Her Dad wasn;t a postman from what I remember though I think, he did drive an oil lorry for a while. Tragic what happened her brother few yrs back. Real nice bloke