Climbing iron - gaffs

MATTMOSS

Whilst looking into replacing the gaffs on some Bashlin spikes, I have realised that the gaffs I have been using for years are actually pole gaffs and not tree gaffs.

The tree gaffs are a different shape, angle and length than the pole gaffs.

The tree gaffs come in two sizes - standard and long- stardard 43mm and long 64mm I think to start using tree gaffs now is going to take some getting used to!

I was wondering how many others are actually using the tree gaffs on there spikes and not pole gaffs?

Any comments/preferences?

I replaced my gaffs about 6 months ago, the office ordered long tree gaffs by mistake. As I was about to start a week of ivy covered monsters (take downs) I stuck with them, fantastic.... great for getting through ivy. However, on smaller diameter stuff its a pain, a lot tougher on the legs when your feet are off the wood, spikes only in the timber. The shorter gaffs allow you to keep your feet in contact and stop the leg pivoting on the spike.

Would love to have two sets but have chosen to stick with the long ones, gotten used to them on smaller diameter wood now, still have to be a bit more carefull, but hey.....