Holding back the years.........

David Humphries

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"the bladed tools are 'glamourised' because they don't give a smooth cut, which stimulates more growth,"

This hypothesis has been floating about for some time, but according to all available studies it has never been shown to be true. Your entire post seems predicated on a premise that lacks validity. :thumbdown:

"which is what you want on a pollard"

well that depends on what the objective is and where the growth is.

" I know this is a bit like telling your gran to suck eggs."

not sure what this means but it does not sound nice--or accurate. :sneaky2:

"chainsaws are easier"???? this is seldom the case ime.

If reducing to nodes with hand/polesaws has not been tried, perhaps it could be included in the next round of study.

I shall try this for you, and I forgot your in America, the thing about your gran is a saying, means trying to tell someone how to do something they probably know better than you

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I shall try this for you, and I forgot your in America, the thing about your gran is a saying, means trying to tell someone how to do something they probably know better than you

ok thanks i get it now :001_tongue:

but still i know nothing about the quantity of sprouts being the objective of pruning. i'll study up a bit on that. :001_huh:

ok thanks i get it now :001_tongue:

but still i know nothing about the quantity of sprouts being the objective of pruning. i'll study up a bit on that. :001_huh:

In a nutshell, habitat production, cavities for nesting animals, detritivores and fungi, dead wood for fungi and boring insects, and dense canopy for song birds to nest and avoid predation, the plant matter also provides food

In a nutshell, habitat production, cavities for nesting animals, detritivores and fungi, dead wood for fungi and boring insects, and dense canopy for song birds to nest and avoid predation, the plant matter also provides food

From your list it is clear that the objective that you describe is 1 to create habitat for saproxylic sp. and 2 to maintain a viable tree for its other contributions. iow, managing the vegetation for the sake of other species.

My assignment is typically the reverse, so my cuts are designed more with the tree in mind. nothing wrong with vegetation management, but for me and my clients the tree is primary value to grow. So intentional additional wounding is the exception and not the rule.

From all I know (but i don't know it all :001_rolleyes:), there can be plenty of habitat still if we make cuts to promote closure instead of rot. But what we are called to do depends on the objective/assignment.

From your list it is clear that the objective that you describe is 1 to create habitat for saproxylic sp. and 2 to maintain a viable tree for its other contributions. iow, managing the vegetation for the sake of other species.

My assignment is typically the reverse, so my cuts are designed more with the tree in mind. nothing wrong with vegetation management, but for me and my clients the tree is primary value to grow. So intentional additional wounding is the exception and not the rule.

From all I know (but i don't know it all :001_rolleyes:), there can be plenty of habitat still if we make cuts to promote closure instead of rot. But what we are called to do depends on the objective/assignment.

This is an ecology forum thread :P the design is to promote habitat creation, and the main practice for pollards now is either for ecology or aesthetics, long gone are the days where it was used to provide timber whilst providing woodland pasture for grazing

Doh! :blushing:

I totally forgot. Vegetation management it is then. I'll go back to tree care.

Haha no worries, we forget with tree care that other stuff other than us and the trees themselves require the tree to survive, when we decide that a broken limb is unsightly, or a hollow in the tree means it should be removed, whilst the birds and bats loose their homes, or the fungi has nothing to feed on and becomes confined to a handful of trees!