Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

Interesting discovery at height yesterday.

made good use of my fruit body extraction device (the Stein Outreach telescopic retriever) :biggrin:

Xylaria polymorpha - dead mans fingers, in the degraded wood below a badly pruned Hornbeam stub.

You can see the 'perithecia' (spore-producing cavities) around the edge of the opened fruit body in the last shot.

59765f2a3dc17_IMG_9879(2).JPG.278a217acc81473db05cb2c525da3797.JPG

IMG_9879.JPG.b2fdc5fa8cc194e6d8055ec8b06b4d68.JPG

IMG_9877.jpg.ab4af1f90a15e67b45252803e911df93.jpg

IMG_9876.jpg.71bf0270975c4052c1301fb541ed563b.jpg

IMG_9875.jpg.7ebed46ee15be0159b3bb88b11e8d180.jpg

IMG_9874.jpg.1232df008473ce85c7d372f06aedb6a6.jpg

From the fungal feeding frenzy that is the Barchams woodchip tree bed just outside the offices. the Lilac fibrecap, Inocybe geophylla or one of its varieties (though gills appear to be out of sink colour wise)

David,

Not being ectomycorrhizal, without having an umbo, with white spores and much too robust to be an Inocybe, I think these are "dwarf" Lepista nuda.

David,

Not being ectomycorrhizal, without having an umbo, with white spores and much too robust to be an Inocybe, I think these are "dwarf" Lepista nuda.

Hi Gerrit, I did consider wood blewit but thought that the cap was too lilac.

Although robust looking, these are quite small probably only 3cm cap & 3cm tall (though probably not developed yet.

I'll see what becomes of them next time I'm up there.

Thnaks for your thoughts :thumbup1:

Hi Gerrit, I did consider wood blewit but thought that the cap was too lilac.

Although robust looking, these are quite small probably only 3cm cap & 3cm tall (though probably not developed yet.

I'll see what becomes of them next time I'm up there.

Thnaks for your thoughts :thumbup1:

David firstly i too thought l. nuda, but thats not as important as another in the bed, apparently B fumosa has VERY few records, could you check the two stumps with it and look for a black line within the fruitbodies for me? and if the black line is present (im certain due to size they are) could you get a sample of to kew as i am certain martin would be interested.:thumbup1:

David firstly i too thought l. nuda, but thats not as important as another in the bed, apparently B fumosa has VERY few records, could you check the two stumps with it and look for a black line within the fruitbodies for me? and if the black line is present (im certain due to size they are) could you get a sample of to kew as i am certain martin would be interested.:thumbup1:

Just checked the course diary and not back there until the 19th of Jan, if its still there I'll get a sample.

this one perchance ?

IMG_9725.jpg.76d35f742f6450f572cc4bc7f018c352.jpg