Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

what was the orientation of the cut surface of the stump?

You're facing it from the 90 degree frontal angle the camera was in. The tree (beech ?) had fallen/uprooted before it was cut, so the cut surface is nearly vertical with a slight slope backwards from the viewpoint of the camera.

1,2& 3 my 'woodland' workplace this week..Paxillus panuoides? on processed softwoods within a very wet 19th century building. Central Scotland

4 & 5: last week: 19th Century building central Lancashire Coniophora marmarata(?) on substrate over decayed Pinus sylvestris structure

Pete,

Nice documentation :thumbup: .

1/2/3 : Tapinella (= Paxillus) panuoides :thumbup1:, which is only found on processed or "free range" coniferous dead wood.

4/5 : It looks a lot like the mycelial and first fruiting phase of C. marmorata, a species, I've never seen fruiting outside buildings (yet).

You're facing it from the 90 degree frontal angle the camera was in. The tree (beech ?) had fallen/uprooted before it was cut, so the cut surface is nearly vertical with a slight slope backwards from the viewpoint of the camera.

Modicum of protection as well as optimal sporalation in that situation.

Opened to less attack by fewer slugs (& other grazers) off the ground ?

random or by design ?

Modicum of protection as well as optimal sporalation in that situation. Opened to less attack by fewer slugs (& other grazers) off the ground ? random or by design ?

David,

Although I would like to assume you're right :001_smile: , I think it's directed by the process of the primordium of the FB coming from the mycelium in the soil underneath the stump following the line of least resistance for surfacing while decomposing cellulose with its hyphae along the way.

Pete,

Nice documentation :thumbup: .

1/2/3 : Tapinella (= Paxillus) panuoides :thumbup1:, which is only found on processed or "free range" coniferous dead wood.

4/5 : It looks a lot like the mycelial and first fruiting phase of C. marmorata, a species, I've never seen fruiting outside buildings (yet).

Gerrit, many thanks for your valued comments. I didnt know about the nomenclature so thanks. 'Coniferous dead wood' I know a little about but I would welcome elaboration on what you mean by 'free range' in this context? and its significance :001_huh:

4/5 Yes. Good observation. The development of the C.marmorata was probably rapidly arrested when someone put a roof back on the building! The host timber moisture content being well below fibre saturation point when I took those photos. Ive only ever found it inside buildings

'Coniferous dead wood' I know a little about but I would welcome elaboration on what you mean by 'free range' in this context? and its significance

Pete,

I just translated the Dutch term "in het wild" :confused1: , meaning outside buildings, i.e. in "nature". And its significance is, that it probably is not infecting processed wood inside buildings, but fruits from a mycelium, that developed in the wood of coniferous trees, that was already colonized by spores during the time the unprocessed wood was (temporarely) left behind in the forest or stored outside the saw mill.

Having seen the failure of a minor branch which had seemingly developed as a result of earlier work (reduction of a major limb - some time ago i assume given extent of decay in section of old limb extending beyond the minor branch) with consequent limited connective tissue, i had returned to tidy it up and was surprised to see catastrophic failure of a much larger limb.

This had survived the worst days of the recent high winds and must only have failed at the very tail end. The fault hadn't been identified when looking at the tree from ground level, and appears to have been the result of damage from an earlier tear out on the upper side of the limb. The decay had set and extended up the limb by two metres or more causing extensive softening of the heartwood.

I noticed these small fungal fbs in the compost that was once branch.

Can you id? Are they primary or secondary in nature?

I expect to return to examine the remainder of the branch to look and perhaps probe for decay into the main stem - any advice you could offer?

DSC00715.jpg.2709e7dc75bbe7c8209e88f44971d9bc.jpg

DSC00714.jpg.76d5363029b4688c56d0764f626d9e7c.jpg

DSC00713.jpg.ae6dd207e9fc0244cbb5c5a95224a340.jpg

DSC00712.jpg.fda019657dbb4011983d5689f381fae9.jpg

DSC00711.jpg.874fbabc45f755bf6f7a88899da264d8.jpg

DSC00709.jpg.846778af35ccbf6ad020c7d532254c41.jpg