Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

David,

It's always nice to enjoy good food (and drinks) with locals :thumbup1: . But to give you an idea of numbers, we're talking about 600 metric tons of "porcini" coming from Scandinavia every year, picked by Polish and Lituanian season workers camping in their VW-vans and making coffee fires in the woods everywhere, because of the Swedish "almansrecht".

I can imagine the Italians would need to import them as well for sure because they are a very sought after and eaten a LOT! almost everywhere you go you can find something with porcini. Francesca (my other half) just said you were to stop talking about them and just bring them here so she can do a lovely risotto:lol: if i was you i would cos that girl can cook:thumbup1:

the Boletes, what clues did make certain your identification?

Tony,

The brownish to olivaceous colour and the velvety matt texture of the cap, the orange red colour of the pores turning dark blue when bruised, the yellowish colour of the stipe with reddish dots and a reddish apex and the association with oak.

Only 5 metres for a tree species, which can send out its water searching roots more then 25 metres away from the base of the trunk ?

An example of how far away FB's of Amanita rubescens can be from the beeches the mycelium associates with. In this case, the superficial beech roots outreach the crown projection of the trees by several metres and even underpass a compressed gravel path reaching to the point where the Amanita mycelium fruits.

---

Amanita-rubescens-beuk.jpg.11c1569f04ec411ac87a48c4bbd80a82.jpg

What I believe to be Suillus granulatus - the Weeping Bolete From Thetford in Suffolk, amongst a pine & larch woodland. Note the sweating on the last shot of the pores.

David,

:thumbup1: , so you have moved on to ectomycorrhizal pine (and larch) species now :001_smile: .